ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC ST. LOUIS CARDINAL's SEASON THREAD

So even though most people know Bloom is going to be calling the shots moving forward. Dewitt is going to keep Mo as the president of baseball operations moving forward just to upset most of the fanbase for some stupid reason. Even when this organization seems to do something right. They find away to screw it up.

Reactions: willgmo
I can’t think of too many worse run organizations in MLB. There are a few but not many
I can think of about 16 organizations that are probably worse run. They are just cheap and fell behind the times and tried to cover it up. They won 12 more games than last year and the farm systems looks a lot better especially from the pitching side. I am realistic, and they are probably 2 years away from competing for anything worth while.

I can think of about 16 organizations that are probably worse run. They are just cheap and fell behind the times and tried to cover it up. They won 12 more games than last year and the farm systems looks a lot better especially from the pitching side. I am realistic, and they are probably 2 years away from competing for anything worth while.
I don’t think it’s fair to compare them to teams like Pittsburgh or Oakland. I compare them to equivalent markets or a little higher. Their history says that is what they should be compared to.

Not the most excitement inducing preview. Everyone pretty much stays and we promise to act different. Gonna need a better sales pitch by tomorrow. Might I suggest they have Bloom do most the talking to at least give the impression there is a new voice in the room?

I struggle to see them call out Oli for his development chops when one of the biggest knocks is his staffs inability to develop imperfect prospects when they reach the big leagues.

Reactions: willgmo and MU Rick
I know I am probably in the minority and will be told how dumb I am…but I think there is still hope for Gorman….but I don’t think Walker will ever be a good major league hitter. Nor sure if there is a market for him either. Gorman needs to be a corner infielder and hopefully someone will give up something to take a chance on Walker. Wish they could unload Arenado and Contreras….what kind of return could be had for those guys plus Gray and Nootbar?

I don’t think it’s fair to compare them to teams like Pittsburgh or Oakland. I compare them to equivalent markets or a little higher. Their history says that is what they should be compared to.
We will agree to disagree on who they should be compared to. In my opinion you should be judged against all your peers. It was a good mix of small and larger markets that had good seasons and similary the other directions

We will agree to disagree on who they should be compared to. In my opinion you should be judged against all your peers. It was a good mix of small and larger markets that had good seasons and similary the other directions

Even judging against "all their peers," you're apparently just deciding that 16 other organizations are run worse simply based on record. It's fairly easy to come to the question, are teams with payrolls that are $50-$100 million less than ours but who have much better farm systems and just as many playoff wins the last five years really ran worse?

All you have to do to see how drafting in the top 10 of the MLB draft is look at the draft from 2018 thru 2022, and go back to 2015 or longer if you want. It helps a bit, but there is at least 50% of these players that aren’t highly successful. It’s why you see perennially bad teams stay that way. For every Baltimore (found gold early, and yet probably their best player Gunnar Henderson is a second rounder) there is a Cincinnati. For every Houston there’s a Pittsburgh. Kansas City is a playoff team largely because they made brilliant free agent pitcher signings in Wacha, and Lugo, and a really good trade to get Cole Ragan. Yep, Bobby Witt Jr was a 2nd overall pick and is a super star.
The Cardinals best players to me include Burleson, Winn, Nootbar, Helsley, and Donavon. Not a first round pick in the bunch.
To me a successful front office finds players through the draft, internationally, trades, and free agent signings.
Projecting young players in their teenage years and even early 20s is a difficult assignment.

Reactions: MelWest
The Cardinals best players to me include Burleson, Winn, Nootbar, Helsley, and Donavon. Not a first round pick in the bunch.
And, other than Winn, nothing remotely close to a foundational cornerstone in the bunch either.

It's so ridiculously ignorant to argue, "it's hard to pick in the top 10, so don't do, skip the chance altogether, just accumulate worthless wins instead"

All you have to do to see how drafting in the top 10 of the MLB draft is look at the draft from 2018 thru 2022, and go back to 2015 or longer if you want. It helps a bit, but there is at least 50% of these players that aren’t highly successful. It’s why you see perennially bad teams stay that way. For every Baltimore (found gold early, and yet probably their best player Gunnar Henderson is a second rounder) there is a Cincinnati. For every Houston there’s a Pittsburgh. Kansas City is a playoff team largely because they made brilliant free agent pitcher signings in Wacha, and Lugo, and a really good trade to get Cole Ragan. Yep, Bobby Witt Jr was a 2nd overall pick and is a super star.
To me a successful front office finds players through the draft, internationally, trades, and free agent signings.
Projecting young players in their teenage years and even early 20s is a difficult assignment.

I give you credit though. You are cardinal to the bone and back them without question. You have seriously argued each spring that they had a brilliant offseason and are WS contenders... And that is completely okay. Teams need fans who will blindly back them.

It makes your a great fan. You aren't a very informed fan, but you're a great fan

I know I am probably in the minority and will be told how dumb I am…but I think there is still hope for Gorman….but I don’t think Walker will ever be a good major league hitter. Nor sure if there is a market for him either. Gorman needs to be a corner infielder and hopefully someone will give up something to take a chance on Walker. Wish they could unload Arenado and Contreras….what kind of return could be had for those guys plus Gray and Nootbar?
Walker had a .793 OPS with 5 HR and 16 RBI in September, once he wasn't being jerked around. He needs to play first base so he doesn't have to worry about playing outfield (and I don't have to watch him out there anymore. lol)

Bingo. Things aren’t the disaster some make them out to be, at present. There are plenty of worse run organizations that just don’t care at all about even trying to win consistently. However, I’m very curious about this press conference tomorrow.

The Cardinals did go from 71 wins to 83 wins. That’s solid. They decided not to become a losing franchise that needs a major overhaul to get back to winning. That’s a fine path to take. I just hope they don’t suddenly decide to go backward from here. They need to commit to continuing to build upward from here at both the major and minor league level. It can be done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT