ADVERTISEMENT

StL writers list of "Best Blowups" includes Matter's choice of one by Coach Larry Smith...

Graphic Edge Guy

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2001
STORY QUOTE" On this particular day (our days before he would be fired), the frustration finally boiled over. A writer asked (Mizzou HC Larry) Smith the inevitable question about his job security.

For the next several minutes Smith unloaded.

“You want to look around at this building? You know who put this building together? I didn’t pay for it, but you know who put it together? I did,” Smith said. “You want to go in that press box you sit in now? You know whose idea that was? Mine.”

“I think that in the last seven years, you can look at about every facet of Missouri football, and it’s been us that’s gotten it done. It was our ideas, and we were the people that pushed it. I think we’ve made a heck of a difference here.”

“My whole problem has not been with the team, the coaches or anybody like that. It’s been with you guys,” he told a room of about 20 reporters. “You guys have surrounded this program with negativity, total negativity.

“I don’t read all that crap. But I hear about it. The wives hear about it, the players read it, they hear about it. Every one of you — most of you — have tried to bury this program. You’ve tried to bury me and this program.”

FULL STORY: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/oth...cle_15150c1c-fe60-5a01-8df7-7bf8ba7b99d0.html

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News