ADVERTISEMENT

Stopping Robocalls - do we need a law?

MUTiger91

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
In your head
I got 11 robocalls for the same scam from different numbers during the football game yesterday. Then my dad tried to call me with updates about my mom who is in the hospital and I didn't pickup because I had turned the volume off on my phone. I know there are phone apps that attempt to do block robocallers, but I've always had issues because I work with large clients and I don't put everyone who works for the client in my phone and the ones that block specific numbers are not effective with spoofers who rotate through an entire area code.

There are 2 good reasons to do something:
1) These calls can be annoying or even to the level of harassing
2) The overwhelming majority of them are offshore scams and need to be shutdown anyway.

I have the outline of an idea for how to stop this. It would require updates from phone companies and to get everyone to do it, there would need to be a law.

My idea is simple:
1) Block all traffic coming from digital sources to US carriers unless it has a signed digital certificate similar to how your browser determines if a web site is what it says it is.
2) Only issue certificates for +1 (US country code) phone numbers to businesses that operate in the US
3) Make whoever registers US phone numbers responsible for behavior that would not comply with current law. To prevent people from being duped into registering numbers, make them watch a short video about how scammers operate and why you don't want to sign this for someone else.

Desired outcome:
1) Legitimate US businesses can still register US numbers for outbound dialing from anywhere.
2) Foreign calls pretending to be US numbers with no signed certificate just get dropped (or alternatively passed through as "Unknown").
3) US Individuals/companies who register a number for foreign crooks are held legally accountable for the actions of those crooks by US courts.

No, I don't own stock in GoDaddy or similar certificate authority.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News