ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TAKEAWAYS FROM THE SIXTH PRACTICE OF FALL CAMP

JHamilton23

All-American
Staff
Jun 18, 2022
I actually have more than brief takeaways. I’ve got a few for the last day of the first week of fall camp.

1. Players who earned numbers

G/C Cam’Ron Johnson earned his No. 74.

DB Nicholas DeLoach earned his No. 24.

2. Strong punting drills

I saw two punting drills the first one wasn’t full reps just them punting in the air and I saw Marquis Johnson join Luther Burden, Dannis Jackson, Daniel Blood, and Peanut Houston.

Riley Williams is the first string punter if that wasn’t already known.

He had a 43, 37, 47 and 55 yard punt on a full special teams drill.

Luke Bauer had a 47, 64, and 46 yard punt. I heard Drink and a couple of other coaches say good punt Luke a couple of times.

On the second go around, Williams had a 47, 46, and 43 yard punt. Bauer didn’t have a second go around because the drill ended.

These were all estimates based on the view I had so I could be off a couple of yards or so.

Bauer and Williams had some good punts in both drills and they both have strong legs. It won’t be easy for Williams to win this position battle.

3. OL vs DL

They did a similar drill to what they did a few practices ago with three interior lineman versus a d lineman except it was just one d-lineman (the other day I think it was 3 OL vs 2 DL). So, basically depending where the DL lined up and who he engaged with when the drill started is what created the one on one matchups.
Here’s what I saw during that drill:
LG Xavier Delgado had a good rep vs DL Darius Robinson.

Cam’Ron Johnson had a good rep vs DT Marquis Gracial (twice).

DT Ky Montgomery had a good rep vs OL Curtis Peagler (spin move to get back inside was one I didn’t see out of any of the other matchupsmatchups).

EDGE DJ Wesolak had a good rush over RT Marcellus Johnson.

Cam’Ron had a good rep vs Robinson.

G EJ Ndoma-Ogar had a good rep vs DT Jalen Marshall.

G/T Mitchell Walters had a good rep vs EDGE Nyles Gaddy.

4. DC Blake Baker was as fired up as I’ve ever seen him.

Safeties were not catching passes in his drill.

So, he was pretty animated. Maybe this is him sometime or maybe it was just that particular drill but it was interesting to see.

So, safeties drop back and then basically run at baker full speed who is throwing a bullet pass right at them. So, it simulates breaking on the ball for an interception and the safeties were struggling. It got a little better towards the end of the drill, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News