NEW STORY TEN THOUGHTS FOR MONDAY MORNING PRESENTED BY WILL GARRETT

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
WILL GARRETT.jpg

We are proud to welcome Will Garrett, Agency Sales Manager of Missouri Farm Bureau Insurance as our partner and sponsor. When you’re looking for in-depth analysis of everything happening at Mizzou, Monday Morning Thoughts is the place to go. When you’re looking for an in-depth review of your insurance policies, Will Garrett is who you need. Born and raised a Tiger fan, Will is proud of his hometown and takes pride in protecting his community, and the people in it. The time to prepare for tomorrow is today. Find Will in his office just south of Faurot Field! Click here to get in touch with Will and start the process.

1) We're going to start with the defense because what it has done through two weeks is historic.
Many of you have probably seen these numbers, but I don't really care because they bear repeating. The last time Missouri opened a season with back to back shutouts was 1935. The opponents in those games were William Jewell and Central Missouri State. No offense to the 1935 Mules, but I'm going to guess they fell short of even Murray State on athleticism. Mizzou has now gone 11 consecutive quarters without allowing a point. That has not happened since 1941 when Don Faurot's team went 16 consecutive shutout quarters. Those Tigers shut out Nebraska, Michigan State, NYU and Oklahoma. That team went 8-2 and finished seventh in the country. Mizzou pitched five shutouts, never allowed more than 13 points in a game and actually lost the Sugar Bowl to Fordham by a score of 2-0, the fifth lowest-scoring bowl game of all time (yes, there have really been four bowl games that ended in scoreless ties...and they all happened before opt outs were a thing).

"It doesn't surprise me," Brady Cook said. "I went against them for how many days in fall camp, you know, they'll suffocate you. They don't give up much. They don't give up much. And it's been cool to see that. I love the energy, energy of death row Coach Batoon has been coaching those guys up.

"All offseason you see in the media, you see yada yada yada is, oh, you know, what's the defense going to be? You know, is it still going to be that same Death Row defense that we've had? And, I mean, they have not shied away, you know, they came out strong first two games, and they're doing their thing right now. So I'm excited about it."

2) Here are some other numbers you may have seen on the other side of the ball because I posted them yesterday.

Last year, Missouri averaged 29 points, 166 rushing yards and 215 passing yards through the first two games. This year they're averaging 44.5 points, 217 rushing yards and 287 passing yards. They've scored more points in the first half of the first two games this year than they scored in the entirety of the first two games last year. But there's a perception that Missouri's offense isn't clicking.

The reason that perception exists is simple: The offense has been more methodical than explosive.

Missouri has 31 plays of ten yards or more this season. That ranks 45th in the country. Not great, but not terrible. The Tigers have only six plays of 20 yards or more. That ranks 94th. Three 30-yard plays ranks 82nd and one 40-yard play is 86th. Missouri does not yet have a 50 yard play. Eighty-seven teams have at least one and 41 have at least two.

To put the numbers in perspective, Mizzou had 202 plays of ten yards or more in 13 games last year. That's an average of 15.5 per game. They're averaging 15.5 plays of ten or more this year so far. They're actually averaging more 20 yard plays (6 to 5.5) than they did over the full season last year. Mizzou had 39 30-yard plays and 20 40-yard plays. So honestly, the Tigers aren't that far off those numbers either. The offense is not appreciably less explosive through two weeks than it was during last season when everyone was perfectly happy with the offense.

3) Here's the number that really underscores the offensive efficiency so far: Missouri is third in the country with 58 first downs. Last year, the Tigers finished 36th, averaging 21.8 first downs per game. The national leader last season was Oregon at 26.6 first downs per game. Missouri is currently at 29. Obviously that number will go down because the defenses Missouri plays will get better. But the point is, only two teams have more first downs than Mizzou (Ole Miss, which has played competition similar to Missouri and Arkansas). Tennessee is tied with Missouri through two weeks.

The 2007 offense is, in my opinion, the best in school history. Mizzou averaged 27 first downs a game that season. The hallmark of that team was its brutal efficiency. They talked all the time about playing catch. Chase Daniel simply took what was there and was incredibly accurate. If what you get is a six-yard hitch route, cool. Hit 66% of those, you're getting a first down every time. Average 3.5 yards a carry, do that three times, you're moving the chains every time. Keep moving the chains, eventually you score points. Most statistics can be manipulated. But first downs and points are always indicators of a good offense and go hand in hand. Missouri is 16th in the country in scoring right now at 44.5 a game. They're moving the football and they're scoring points. The longer plays will probably come eventually, especially with guys like Luther Burden and Marquis Johnson on the roster. But if they don't? That doesn't mean you can't put up big numbers.

4) The two numbers that can submarine offensive efficiency are completion percentage and turnovers. In other words, mistakes. As a team right now, Missouri is completing 76.2% of its passes. Brady Cook is at 71.6 (48/67) and Drew Pyne at 94.1 (16/17). Cook is tied for 19th in the country among quarterbacks who have played two games. The Missouri school record for completion percentage is 72.9 by Chase Daniel in 2008. Mizzou has two turnovers through two games, which is pretty middle of the road. So the offensive future really comes down to two questions: Can Missouri break more long plays than it has so far? And if not, can it continue to maintain the level of efficiency it has had through two games. If the answer to either of those questions is yes, the offense should be just fine.

5) Tracking the transfer snaps.

Offense

vs Buffalo: 347
for the season: 736

Defense

vs Buffalo: 391
for the season: 687

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.