ADVERTISEMENT

TEN THOUGHTS FOR MONDAY MORNING

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
1. Everybody's talking about Marcus Washington this weekend, so let's talk about Marcus Washington. Ohio State people still feel very good about this. But Missouri people feel good too and the fact he left campus without a public commitment is a good thing. You can silently commit all you want, but until you're ready to say it publicly, it doesn't count. There has been some talk about an August 7 commitment date for Washington (IDK the significance of that date). If it gets that far, it probably favors OSU to be honest. I wouldn't be shocked to see an announcement sooner than that, but we'll see. Multiple people in STL tell me he didn't commit this weekend. Now, whether that means he didn't commit publicly or he didn't commit at all, obviously I don't know.

2. Speaking of Ohio State, there was another development there this weekend that could have a butterfly effect for Mizzou. Quarterback Dwan Mathis flipped from Michigan State to Ohio State. Why do you care? Because I had someone tell me last week if OSU missed on a couple guys they'd probably offer Mizzou commit Connor Bazelak, an Ohio native. That's not going to happen now. That has to be good for you guys.

3. On the subject of quarterbacks, high praise for Drew Lock at Manning Camp.

This was already posted on the board, but I know not all of you read every thread, so for those who didn't see it, here you are.

Expanded thoughts in this interview from our Ole Miss guys.

4. Tough, tough times for a former Tiger and PM'er. If you didn't see the post from Andrew Jones, read it and please say a prayer (or whatever else you deem appropriate) for the family. We talk about a bunch of stupid, insignificant stuff here. This isn't that.

5. For those who have a subscription to the Athletic, this is a really interesting story. For those who don't, Dick Vitale took a picture with a recruit at a Michigan State basketball game and MSU had to self report a minor NCAA violation. No real wrongdoing by MSU since they didn't set it up, but it's illegal for media members to have any interaction with a prospect while he's on an official visit. So, for those who wonder why we leave kids alone while they're on campus, that's why.

6. Basketball recruiting has a terrible reputation but as far as sheer silliness, I think football recruiting is worse. There have been two kids release top schools' lists in the last week that I know have schools on them that they can't go to. Combine that with "offers" and reservations and such and it's really just become ridiculous in the last few years. Hoops has a terrible reputation, but the truth is, the vast majority of commitments stick in that sport. In football, far more flip flop and there's much more dumb maneuvering behind the scenes (not illegally, just so many offers and commitments and lists that have no validity). I really think it's gotten far worse with social media.

7. This kid was my favorite kid I saw all week

8. Major changes could be coming to the AAU circuit. Rather than re-hashing it all, check this thread, which includes a link to Jeff Goodman's story. I saw some indication Peach Jam could move to August next year based on this proposal.

9. A listening/watching recommendation.

This isn't new, but if you haven't, check out the podcast Crimetown. Very interesting look into New England organized crime.

As far as what to watch, I don't know this week. I'm looking for recommendations. So it's your turn to give me a new series.

10. A couple of things for you to read:

If you like dogs, read this. My dog is almost 13 years old. I'm prepared that this might be her last summer with us. We got her when my kids were 4 and 9. When we lose her, I'm not gonna be here for a couple of days.

For the handful of you that have the attention span to read a book, I just finished "Superfans" by George Dohrmann this week. It's a look into the psychology of a diehard sports fan. I think a lot here could identify with it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News