ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY ***TEN THOUGHTS FOR MONDAY MORNING***

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Stein & Summers is a rock solid real estate firm with over 46 years of success that can be attributed to our willingness to go the extra mile in service and expertise. With offices in Kansas City and St. Joseph, we provide a full range of services in residential, commercial, multi-family, investment and agricultural real estate. Confidence comes from feeling you’ve been taken care of, so when you see our sign you can rest assured that one of our agents will be ready to provide the best care for any of your real estate needs. Click here for more information.

1) I know none of us want to think about it but a lot of people are worried about the football season. Last week, Kirk Herbstreit said he'd be "shocked" if there was a football season in 2020. Most people I've talked to aren't that negative about it...but they're very concerned about whether games are going to be played. The reaction from people I've talked to (this ranges from coaches to people who cover the sport who have talked to people) is somewhere between "If we play, I think we're going to play without fans at least to start" to "I don't think we're going to have a season." What I'm not really hearing anyone say right now is "I'm optimistic everything can go off on time." I think it's too early to start canceling the season. I do not think it's too early to start having discussions behind the scenes about possible modifications or things you can do to give the sport the best chance to have a season. That's what I'm sure every administrator, coach, conference and athletic department in the country is doing right now.

2) Here's why some people are so concerned about it. Let's say you come back, everything is good, everyone is in camp, etc. Then let's say midway through fall camp, a player at Iowa State tests positive. Right then, you have to test and quarantine everyone in that program. And you have 12 teams they play who are now not sure they can play them. So that's a schedule change for 10% of the teams in the country BASED ON JUST ONE POSITIVE TEST. I know some will say "it's March 30, we're five months away please shut the hell up and stop spreading panic." I want to be clear, none of this stuff is my opinion. As of today, I still think they'll find some way to have at least part of a football season. But if the sport isn't planning for all this and at least thinking about the worst case scenarios, they're not doing their jobs.

3) Let's also be clear, in the grand scheme of things, obviously football isn't hugely important. Except to these colleges, it is. Athletic departments don't exist without football. It literally allows everything else to happen. If you shutter the sport for a year, how many other teams get cut and how many other athletes don't get scholarships and opportunities? The ripple effect is scary.

Along those lines, I wonder what this will do to ticket sales. Missouri has already extended its season ticket deadline. But how many people are going to pass on buying season tickets (not just at Mizzou but everywhere) until they know there's a season to be played? I understand there are some places where if you want to see the games you're going to have to put down a deposit and get in line and hope. And for the people that can afford to do that, who have always done that, many of them still will. But what about a place like Mizzou where, let's be honest, you don't have to buy a season ticket to get in the stadium? How many people are gonna say, "You know, I think I'll wait till August and make sure they're going to play and then I'll buy single game tickets because it's not like we're talking about six sellouts." And what's that do to the bottom line? And how does that impact the programs and the departments?

4) The financial conversation here goes beyond sports. My son is a senior in college. His school went fully online about the same time as everyone else did, kids aren't going back to class, graduation isn't going to be an event, etc. Just like everyone else. Last week, we got an email stating that 52% of fees for housing, parking and dining would be either refunded or credited back to accounts for next semester. Obviously we're going to take the refund because our son won't have another semester. He lived off campus and he didn't have a parking pass, so the amount coming back to us is relatively minimal. But when you start talking about every kid on campus (this is a school of maybe 2000-2500 students) getting back half the money for housing, parking and dining, the university just lost a whole crapload of money.

There will probably be more like this.

5) I'd love to get away from talking about all of this and talk about sports. Who wouldn't? I'm sensing most would based on the message board. The activity has slowed down some. It always slows down this time of year. The outbreak of this virus kept it going for a couple weeks. But now those threads have mostly turned into the same ten people that like to fight about pretty much everything fighting about this and I think most of us have checked out and aren't really looking at those threads. So we'd love to talk about sports. Except how do you do that? I've seen some sites doing things like breaking down opponents for next year or talking about quarterback competitions or something. Honestly, I don't get the point. We're not even sure they're going to play right now. The only story that really matters is "Are they going to have a season? What can they do to have the best chance to have a season? When will we know if they're going to have a season? What date do we have to have a decision by?" Not "Who will be the backup slot receiver?" If we get to fall camp, we're going to talk about all that, but there's just not much point to any of it right now. And so we float along and hope a week from now or a month from now we might have something to talk about that we know is actually going to happen rather than just theoretical blather (related, I see people online actually getting angry about predictions or results in mock NCAA Tournaments that some outlets are running. Like, these people get that these games weren't actually played, right? The only thing dumber than getting mad about someone's prediction is getting mad about something that isn't actually happening).

6) The SEC is allowing coaches to conduct virtual meetings with players today. I don't know all the details on what's going to be allowed and how it will work. I was forwarded a copy of a memo sent out by the SEC. Here's what it said:

This memorandum is to provide institutions with direction on the Southeastern Conference policy regarding athletically related activities for all sports beginning March 30, 2020. This policy will clarify and modify the policy approved by the SEC Presidents & Chancellors on March 13, 2020 and remain in effect until, at least, April 15. As a reminder, the March 13, 2020 policy stated:

"It was MOVED and SECONDED to cease all athletics activities, voluntary or required, including practices, individual and team workouts effective at the end of the day on Friday, March 13 and continuing through Wednesday, April 15. Team meetings shall conclude no later than 5 pm local time on Monday, March 16.”

The March 13, 2020 policy is clarified and modified as follows:

1. All required physical athletic activities (e.g., strength and conditioning workouts, sport- specific workouts) shall be prohibited. This prohibition includes both in-person involvement, and any virtual involvement by institutional staff such as remotely watching, directing, or reviewing physical workouts.

2. Required virtual film review, chalk talk, etc. that does not include physical activity shall be permissible. Any required activity of this nature shall be limited to two (2) hours of activity per week in all sports, shall be scheduled in accordance with the institution’s established Time Management Policy, and shall not interfere with required class time for online instruction. These activities may not include a review by or live monitoring of film/video of a student-athlete engaging in workouts or physical activity occurring after March 13, 2020. Institutions may not suggest or require a student-athlete to make film/video of his/her workouts or physical activity available by other means (such as social media).

3. Prospective student-athletes may not be involved in any way in such required, countable activities conducted by the institution.

4. Only countable coaching staff members may be involved in providing technical or tactical instruction to student-athletes as part of such virtual activity.

5. Student-athletes may continue to be provided strength and conditioning workouts and/or sport-specific drills; however, coaches and other athletics staff may not observe the activity (virtually or in-person). Student-athletes may not be required to workouts and/or drills, nor may they be required to report back on such activity to any athletics staff member.

6. These modifications shall be effective as of 12:00 pm Central/1:00 pm Eastern on Monday, March 30.

7. Further assessment of off-season and/or summer activities will occur in the coming weeks.

8. Athletics programs are expected to comply with public health directives governing workplace activity and limitations on gatherings.

This policy does not impact the Conference’s earlier statement that you may continue to “provide student-athletes with care and support in the areas of academics; medical care; mental health and wellness; and housing, as needed.” Consistent with normal practice, violations of this SEC policy are to be reported to the Conference office and will be subject to penalties at the discretion of the Commissioner. If you have any questions, please contact our office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News