NEW STORY TEN THOUGHTS FOR MONDAY MORNING

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Copy of Copy of Blue House Real Estate Postcard (1).png

Whether you are looking for more space to host those game day parties or looking to upgrade, Stein & Summers is your #1 fan in helping you find the home of your dreams! We have over 100 licensed agents servicing Kansas City, St. Joseph, and surrounding areas - including Kansas! Interest rates are at a record low while homes sales prices are at a record high! Contact us today to get started.

1) Let's get the important stuff out of the way first: According to people I've checked with this morning, Missouri is currently on track to play South Carolina this weekend. I do not know if that is reflective of Sunday's tests, but I would assume it is. There is still a round of tests Tuesday and another Thursday and as you all know, we'll see how it goes. But as of Monday morning, the Tigers are on track to return to the field. So that's good news.

2) The big news right now is that when they do return to the field, they'll face a South Carolina team with an interim head coach. Mike Bobo will be in charge with Will Muschamp having been fired last night. It shouldn't really change that much about what the Gamecocks do. Bobo was in charge of the offense and that won't change. What the Gamecocks are right now is a team that was 4-8 last year, 2-5 this year having lost three straight games by a combined score of 159-69. South Carolina ran the ball really well against Ole Miss (moving the ball against the Rebels isn't really an accomplishment this year because everyone does it). But they couldn't stop anything. Rebels QB Matt Corral averaged 16 yards PER ATTEMPT. That's more than double what's considered a really good number. I'm not sure I've ever seen a number like that. Yes, Ole Miss has better receivers than Missouri does, but South Carolina often wasn't even close. It would be disappointing if Missouri doesn't have a good amount of success moving the ball this weekend.

3) Not that anybody will ask me, but there should be some interest among Mizzou fans in who South Carolina hires considering it's a divisional rival. Here is the initial list from our South Carolina site. That's a good list with reasonable targets. Personally, I'd make the first call to Napier and make him say no. If he does, I'd try Satterfield and then Healy. Those are my top three at the start for SC. They've all been successful head coaches and all have some sort of tie to the region. I think any would be a good hire for South Carolina. Will be interesting to see where they go...and if they're the only opening in the division (I have to think Vandy makes a change and I don't think Tennessee will but it's not impossible).

4) It seems like it's been forever since Mizzou played a football game. By kickoff time Saturday, it will have been 21 days since the Tigers played. They will have played two games in 41 days as of Friday. I've seen some people say this and I feel the same way. It's really hard to get into this season because it's really hard to view it as a season. It's just this neverending line of crap where we have to wait to find out every week if they're playing, who they're playing, where they're playing and when they're playing. The answer the last two months has been no more often than yes and if you get a game it's kind of a nice little respite from the other crap. It makes it impossible to really get any feel for or invest in because it seems like a disconnected series of individual games rather than an actual season. That's just me. I understand some people are every bit as into it--maybe even more--as any other season. I've just had a hard time really viewing it as a season lately. Nothing about the last six weeks has felt like football season. Here's hoping they can get the last five games in over the next five weeks.

5) The SEC is quickly approaching the point of no return. There aren't really any more holes in the schedule without backing up. There is still the matter of getting LSU/Bama on the schedule and our Alabama site is expecting that to happen with some shuffling of schedules. Basically what they're expecting is LSU/Bama on December 5th, which would rearrange Alabama's current games and put LSU/Ole Miss on December 19th, the day of the SEC title game (and Mizzou/UGA and maybe some other games). So that can all probably work. But again, there's no more deck chairs to rearrange on the Titanic. The next game that is postponed puts you at the point of having to cancel games or push back the end of the regular season.

6) Other college football thoughts from a weekend I watched almost no college football:

*This was a dreadful slate of games. There just wasn't much to get excited about.

*Florida probably doesn't have the best offense in college football. That's probably still Alabama. But the gap between the Tide and the Gators is a lot smaller than most of us probably thought it was a few weeks ago. Kyle Trask is going to absolutely be in the Heisman conversation and the over/under for the SEC title game might be in the 80s. Should be a pretty fun game. I'd still take Bama, but it could very easily be a who has the ball last game.

*It would be difficult to be humiliated any more than Michigan was humiliated this weekend. The Wolverines got pounded 49-11 by Wisconsin in a game in which the Badgers scored more points in three of the four quarters (14) than Michigan did in the entire game. It's hard to see how they move forward with Jim Harbaugh and whoever they replace him with is going to be charged with getting Michigan back to where it thinks it should be...if he doesn't, the Wolverines are basically Tennessee and Nebraska: Programs that people's parents tell them were once great but they've had no proof of it with their own eyes for most of their lives. Related, this tweet made me laugh

Okay. Not sure what you're seeing, but okay.

*My Heisman ballot as of today:

Zach Wilso
n, BYU
Kyle Trask, Florida
TBD

*If the playoff started today:

1) Alabama vs 4) Clemson
2) Notre Dame vs 3) Ohio State

Other teams with a realistic shot: Texas A&M, Florida, Cincinnati, BYU

Other teams with a shot, but it seems less realistic: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Indiana, Oregon, USC, Miami

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News