ADVERTISEMENT

TEN THOUGHTS ON THE WEEKEND IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
While we were all watching whatever that was at Faurot last night, there were actual interesting things happening in college football. Let's talk about them:

1) We like to focus on the misery in this space. And nobody had a more miserable weekend than Michigan State coach (for now) Mel Tucker. Tucker is accused by Brenda Tracy (who is a well-known activist for women's rights and goes around to campuses across the country, including MSU, educating athletes on sexual assault and harrassment) of making unwanted sexual comments and masturbating on a phone call with her.

In his statements to the Title IX investigator, Tucker acknowledged masturbating on the call but said Tracy grossly mischaracterized the episode. According to him, they had consensual “phone sex.”

Good God, sir. What is you doing? Tucker is obviously right in the crosshairs to be fired for cause, which would cost him about $80 million. His first couple years in East Lansing (back when people thought he might be a good coach) the slogan that went around from MSU was "Tuck comin'." Man, does that have a different meaning this morning.

2) Okay, how about we talk about some actual games? Texas beat Alabama 34-24 behind 349 yards and three touchdowns from Quinn Ewers. I didn't see a snap of this game because it was on at the same time as Mizzou/MTSU. The general feeling I got from following social media was that the Longhorns more or less dominated this game. I'm not sure if it says more about UT or more about Bama. The Tide is still pretty good. But it is clearly not on the level of Nick Saban's best teams. Bama slipped a little last year. It looks like it's slipped a little more this year. And credit to this Texas running back. I think more players should do this after a win.

3) Elsewhere in Texas, the news was less positive. Texas A&M jumped out to a lead on Miami and then generally fell apart in a 48-33 loss to the Canes. At least the Aggies scored more. They just couldn't stop Tyler Van Dyke, who threw for 374 yards and five touchdowns. A&M still has a chance to have a much improved season. They do not have a chance to have a special season. The Aggies look as if they will continue the tradition of being worth far more than August than they are by December. The only question is whether they're good enough to avoid the discussion of whether they'll pay Jimbo Fisher eleventy billion dollars to go away.

4) If I covered the Purdue/Virginia Tech game yesterday, it would have been my last day on the job. They kicked off at 11 am. After a 5 hour and 27 minute rain delay, the game finally ended some time around 8 p.m. Purdue won 24-17. By the time it happened, I can't imagine anyone actually cared. Kudos to Ryan Walters though on his first career win.

5) My team of the week is James Madison, which can now declare itself the Virginia state champions. The Dukes scored the final 12 points of the game to beat Virginia 36-35 on Saturday. Last season, they beat Old Dominion. Beware, Virginia Tech, you don't want none of that smoke.

6) Nebraska is now 0-2, but to the Huskers credit, at least they didn't keep their fans in suspense and choke this one away at the end. Colorado blitzed the Huskers 36-14 in a game that wasn't really that close. Nebraska is now 23-47 in its last 70 games. That covers seven seasons and two weeks. Between 1970 and 1997 (that's 28 seasons), Nebraska lost a grand total of 49 games. To be fair to Matt Rhule, though, it's not like you can expect a coach to come in and turn anything around in year one. I mean, the guy on the other sideline has been in Boulder for a long time now. Right?

7) Is the SEC good? The league lost three marquee games last week (LSU, Florida, South Carolina). Bama lost to Texas this week and Texas A&M to Miami. The league is now 3-6 in Power Five non-conference games with Mississippi State's win over Arizona probably the best of the bunch. Kentucky had to sweat against Eastern Kentucky. Missouri did what Missouri did. Vanderbilt lost to Wake Forest. I think Georgia is very, very good. I think Tennessee might be good. I think someone will win the West. But I predicted before the season the SEC wouldn't win the national title this year. There's a long way to go, but I don't feel terrible about that prediction right now.

8) Two tough ways to lose a football game.

I don't know how Baylor didn't get another play here. The Utah DB got away with an absolute mugging. I appreciate letting them play, but sometimes not making the call is impacting the game as much as making it would.

What an absolutely superhuman effort by Arizona quarterback Jayden de Laura. But it came up about three inches short. Just gut-wrenching.

9) Iowa is 2-0 after a 20-13 win over Iowa State. However, the Hawkeyes are averaging just 22 points a game in those two wins. To have his contract renewed by his father, Brian Ferentz's offense has to win seven games and average 25 points per game. The Hawkeyes are behind schedule. This will be my favorite thing to track throughout the season.

10) Five games I'll watch besides Mizzou/Kansas State next weekend:

LSU at Mississippi State, 11 am Saturday, ESPN: The Tigers are still the best team in the SEC West I think. Last year they lost to Florida State and won the West. They can do it again this year. They can still make the playoff. But they can't lose again. This will be a test.

South Carolina at Georgia, 2:30 Saturday, CBS: I don't think this will be a good game. It's not really one I care to watch all that much. But it's a pretty weak slate.

Tennessee at Florida, 6:00 Saturday, ESPN: Hey, it's two Power Five teams and it's not impossible the Gators get something going and make it interesting.

Northern Illinois at Nebraska, 6:00 Saturday, FS1: I will not watch this game. But I would encourage Husker fans to. The wins aren't going to be frequent. You don't want to miss them when they do occur.

BYU at Arkansas, 6:30 Saturday, ESPN2: I told you it was a crappy slate of games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News