ADVERTISEMENT

The BC experience

Mizzoufan89

Letterman
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2004
Much has been said about the crowds at KY and BC and how much better they are than Mizzou. I'm not joining that debate because it never ends.

I wanted to point out a couple of things and actionable ideas from the weekend.

First, this was an all timer for BC. Our friends in Boston said it was very unusual, and "in 20 years they will still be talking about the Missouri game." Hard to believe. I took it as a compliment the students rushed the field after the game.

The students at this game were the key. They had a blast. One thing Mizzou could learn is that the students can really drive the atmosphere. Mind you, I'm 54. But we shouldn't be listening to music from my era to pump up the stadium. BC did a great job of keeping it current and keeping the students active. In my mind, the experience should be about the kids. It's their school now, give them the keys to own it.

No disrespect to our students, btw. Our kids show up well and do a great job. One interesting logistical difference was the BC student section was in a corner. I think that concentration of energy and noise builds on itself, rather than spread out between the 20's. I don't want to take good seats away from the kids, but from an atmosphere standpoint, that corner was a party.

It's tough to compare stadiums because Alumni Stadium is tiny. It is compact, and the fans are right on top of the field. I still don't know why we don't lower our field and bring the first row right down to the edge. I've heard BS like it's solid rock or some other excuse, but it's possible. I think it would change the feel completely.

Finally, the trend this year is to have a theme song. Wisconsin with "Jump Around," Penn State with "Sweet Caroline" (completely overdone, btw, but they like it). Event the St Louis Blues had "Gloria." But the BC kids singing "Mr. Whiteside" was awesome. It has nothing to do with football, but it's theirs, they own it, and it was fun. Somehow, a song needs to come to Mizzou. Doesn't have to be about sports, but just something that our kids can grab ahold of. And we can't screw it up and choose something stupid or contrived. I don't have the answer here, but I'm an old guy. Leave it to the students.

Those are my thoughts, looking forward to a game in the friendly confines this weekend. If we were 4-0 Faurot would be a madhouse, but, alas, we are in a rebuilding year. I think we are on the right track.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News