ADVERTISEMENT

**********THE CHAMBER: AUGUST 8*********

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
First of all, as is first every week, keep it here.

We’ll start with some stuff from football practice. I want to stress that it’s been four days. In no pads. So these aren’t concrete conclusions, just some things I want to put out there for your consideration:

*******Can’t tell you how impressed I am with Jerrell Jackson. Of the four freshman receivers, he’s the only one I haven’t seen drop at least two or three passes. Realize, that doesn’t mean he hasn’t dropped them necessarily, maybe he just hasn’t dropped them when I’ve been watching him. But anyway, the kid is silky smooth, he’s got pretty decent size and I think he plays this year. Then, I think McGaffie and Kemp will have to battle it out for the other spot.

*********The debate will rage on about how to handle Blaine Gabbert this year. Does he play, does he sit and watch? Through four days, he’s shown he has the ability to throw some great passes. He’s also had some times where he has struggled a little bit. I mean, of course he has, he’s been through four college practices. But the way I look at it, Missouri’s better off letting him sit and learn a year. There are many, many reasons for this:

1. Worry about 2009 in 2009. When Chase Daniel was a freshman, you played him because you were building for the future. This year IS the future. You worry ONLY about this year, future be damned.

2. I’ve said it over and over but the main difference in the two situations is this: Daniel played meaningful snaps. Gabbert really wouldn’t. I mean do you seriously believe this staff is going to sit a Heisman front runner in the second quarter of a tie game to give a series to a true freshman? No freaking way. Therefore, do the two mop up series in a 55-7 game against SEMO really make Gabbert better? Not enough to make it worth the risk.

3. I think Daniel gets to play a little longer than he would in most years. The kid is not only a candidate for the Heisman, he might be the leading candidate. At the end of the year, the difference in playing him an extra half a quarter in each non-conference game could be five or six touchdown passes. That could be the difference in winning the Heisman and finishing second. It may not be the most important thing in the world, but if you can do something to get your kid the Heisman, I think you do it. I’m not saying you play him all game in a 50-point win over Buffalo, but I think you play him three quarters.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve thought about as I’ve watched Gabbert this week. For what it’s worth, somebody I know that had never seen Blaine in person came up to me the first day and said, “Holy expletive. Looking at Blaine Gabbert is like looking at an NFL quarterback.” Yeah, it is. And that’s why he’s gotten all the hype.

***************Quickly, one spot where I’m less concerned than I was coming into camp and one where I’m more concerned: Much, much less concerned at linebacker. Van Alexander is on his way back and Andrew Gachkar is not only playing, but playing well. Last year, he only played on special teams mostly because he didn’t really know the defense. This year, he looks like he knows what he’s doing out there. You stick him with Luke Lambert and hope Sean Weatherspoon comes back and you’ve got a solid line backing corps for 2009. I’m more concerned than I was with what Missouri does at right guard. I know Ziggy Hood and Jaron Baston should be good, but they’ve been in the backfield far too much. However, I’m willing to reserve judgment on this one until the players put on the pads and the offensive linemen can cut block. That always changes things a little bit. If Hood is still tapping Chase Daniel on the helmet every other time the Tigers pass, then I’ll be scared.

*********************All right, on to recruiting. Friday’s going to be a big day in Columbia. Andrew Wilson is coming in from Kansas City. From the St. Louis side, T.J. Moe and Kerwin Stricker are coming in and Jack Meiners is driving down with Sheldon Richardson. Has to be seen as a positive to have big Sheldon on campus this soon after he went public with his desire to look around. It kind of confirms my suspicions that maybe those comments weren’t as fully thought out and as threatening to Mizzou’s chances as we first thought. I’m supposed to talk to Sheldon later tonight when he returns to St. Louis, so hopefully I’ll have something Saturday.

***********In semi-related news, I’m hearing things are going well with Ronnie Wingo. I think the visit last week really did wonders in showing him that the Tigers do actually run the football. In addition, Bud Golden, a four-star back from Cincinnati, committed to Illinois yesterday. Feeling among some I know that follow the Illini is that the commitment more or less closes the book on Wingo to Illinois. Zook now has five running backs who will be on scholarship next season. Missouri has three (and that’s if Drew Temple shows up). If playing running back and playing early are important, there’s really not much doubt where he’ll end up. I thought Missouri was in the lead before what I found out yesterday, but now I think that lead is increasing.

*************Hoped to have some hoops recruiting news, but Michael Snaer hasn’t been around all week long. I’m going to try to get him this weekend and check in with Keith Dewitt next week as well.

From the desk of World B. Freeman, recruiting guy:

Obviously, this week has been all about football practice. Doesn’t mean that recruiting disappeared. Here’s what I’ve learned this week.

**************Daniel Jenkins
-Still unclear whether he will get an offer from the Tigers, but it sounds like the biggest factor in his recruitment will be his brother, William Jenkins. The older Jenkins received moderate interest in 2008 as a wide receiver recruit so he has enrolled at Humboldt State University in Northern California. He’s been talking with the different schools, including coach Jones from Missouri, about the idea of William walking on in 2009. That’ll be a major factor in where he goes next year. Obviously, things hinge with Missouri on getting an offer, but they’re definitely still talking.

***********Terrance Lloyd
-I think Missouri’s a leader here. It may not be by much, but they lead. He doesn’t have a specific date set for his visit to Missouri, but do’t be surprised if he commits while on the visit. I definitely think that is a possibility with Lloyd.

***********Josh Gordon
-Missouri is still in good shape here. Texas A&M is still in second, but the team to watch is Michigan. He grew up in Michigan and has a lot of family in the area. If they offer, they’ll jump to the top. Doesn’t mean he’ll commit quickly if they do, but the Wolverines are the team to watch with Gordon.

**********Cobi Hamilton
-Hamilton was in Detroit last week for the Junior Olympics and came in 4th in the 200 meters with a time of 21.41 seconds. Said his top 5 remain Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, and possibly Baylor. He joked that everyone expected him to have already committed to Arkansas by now, but he wants to take visits. Looks like Mizzou, Arkansas, LSU, Kansas, and another school will get a visit. Actually helps Missouri that he didn’t jump right on the Arkansas offer. They still lead, but Missouri sitting in second looks like a good spot right now.

***********Another new name
-I’ll have more this weekend so keep your eye out for it, but it’s a story about the top player in Nebraska, Vondre Tostenson. He’s the number 50 receiver in America and holds an offer from Iowa. He’s talking with several other schools in the area and I think Missouri could be a big player if and when they offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News