ADVERTISEMENT

****THE CHAMBER, FEBRUARY 25TH, 2011*****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
We’re going to get the Chamber going with Pete on the football recruiting trail. Then I’ll come back with some hoops stuff.

Let's start with some cliff notes on what I'll be covering in this Chamber:

A big-time recruit is nearing a commitment to Missouri

Some bad news about Missouri's most recent offer

A few more guys who could pick up offers very, very soon

Big year in-state, sure; but it could be an even bigger year in Texas

ABOUT THAT COMMITMENT: Odds are pretty good that, by the night of April 16, the Tigers will have scored one of the biggest commitments of the 2012 class. That is, if all goes according to plan, says Allen (TX) running back Jonathan Williamshttp://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Jonathan-Williams-120250.

Missouri has been recruiting Williams since last fall, and he was the first running back offer in the 2012 class. Right now, the 5'11", 205-pound tailback is under-the-radar, but gaining steam -- recent offers from Virginia and Iowa show that he's becoming a national name. He's also on the Longhorns' radar, but didn't garner an invite to Texas' junior day this weekend.

Make no mistake, however: Williams is a high-level recruit. An injury ended his sophomore season before it began, but he ran for over 2,000 yards as a junior. That injury two years ago is a big reason why he isn't getting a ton of national attention, although as I mentioned, that's quickly changing.

Now, Williams has said from the get-go that Missouri is at the top of his list. He re-affirmed that in an unprompted text message to me on Wednesday evening (meaning, I didn't first text him to get an update). Usually, when a recruit does that, it means more than if they say that during an interview. A big reason for his favoritism of Missouri is the fact that the Tigers haven't hid their affinity for him.

"They tell me they want me to be there(sp) rb and I like there(sp) offense so if everything goes smooth ill be a tiger," Williams wrote in a text message.

As we've reported here before, Williams is visiting Columbia for the Tigers spring game on April 16.

"I cant wait to go to the spring game," Williams wrote. "And if i really like it like i think i will ill probably commit."

Once again, all this was unprompted. There are still about six weeks until the spring game, so things could change. But, that also works for Missouri's favor: There's six weeks to make Williams more ready to commit. I do not expect Texas to offer in that time frame, and Williams really hasn't expressed much interest in the other in-state schools (at least to me). I think it's a safe bet that Williams will commit to Missouri in the next six weeks -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens before his visit. He's also visiting with 2011 signee Brad McNulty, and their friendship will only help Mizzou's chances.

Why am I so high on Williams as a player? Take a look at his film, and you'll see. He's a big, tough running back who has operated out of a run-heavy spread that is very, very similar to Missouri's. Other running backs have come to Missouri out of the spread offense, and they put up big numbers in high school (see Kendial Lawrence, Marcus Murphy). But, Williams blend of speed and size has those backs beat at this stage in his career. Getting a commitment from him right now would be a huge boost for Missouri's Texas recruiting, especially if Williams blows up over the summer, as many are predicting him to do.

AND FOR THE BAD NEWS: As I posted on the board yesterday, Missouri became the third team to offer St. Louis (MO) Ritenour defensive tackle Edmund Rayhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Edmund-Ray-122412, joining Kansas and Kansas State. Ray said he's not making a decision anytime soon.

"It's going to be most definitely after my season," Ray said.

However, he said that the three schools that have offered are all equal, and he's wide open.

The bad news, however, is where Mom wants him to go:

"My mom likes KU a lot," Ray said.

Obviously, there's plenty of time for Missouri's coaches to flip his mom, but we all know what happens when parents feel strongly about a school.

IMPENDING OFFERS: Look for Lufkin (TX) defensive tackle/end Tomme Markhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Tomme-Mark-116641 to pick up a verbal offer from Missouri any day now. I spoke with Mark on Wednesday night, and he told me his coach informed him that Missouri planned on offering, but Mark hadn't spoken with his recruiting coach, Barry Odom, to make that verbal offer official. I'll have a full article on Mark later.

Another kid who could pick up an offer soon is Tyler (TX) offensive lineman Conner Groomshttp://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Conner-Grooms-118435. I wrote about Grooms last week, and he could get an offer any day now.

EYES OF MISSOURI ON TEXAS: Everyone raves about the in-state talent this year, but based on the guys that Missouri is in on already, the state of Texas could be even more important to Missouri's 2012 recruiting success. East Texas is especially loaded this year, and many of Missouri's current offers reside in that part of the Lone Star State. Some of the top recruits are mentioning Missouri early -- more so than last year -- and while everyone wants the in-state recruits to stay home, getting a big haul from Texas this year will probably be more beneficial to Missouri's long-term success on the field.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: We have had quite a bit of news of new offers lately. Just in case you missed any of them, in addition to Edmund Ray, here are a few others that have recently gotten offers:

Florida receiver Austin Aikenshttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Austin-Aikens-110459

Tenaha, TX wideout Reginald Davishttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Reginald-Davis-115123

Michigan DT Matthew Godinhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Matthew-Godin-101133

Staley (MO) running back/athlete Morgan Stewardhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Morgan-Steward-114075

Okay, now that the football recruiting is wrapped up for the week, let’s turn to hoops. Everybody wants to know what’s going on with Missouri’s scholarship situation so I’ll do my best:

*It would be very, very surprising if Otto Porterhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/basketball/recruiting/player-Otto-Porter-108410 was not a Tiger. I’ve heard from many, many people in the area that he’s going to be at Mizzou. We’ll have a chance to see Porter in person and interview him again at the state title game hopefully.

*Obviously, there are two spots beyond Porter. One would be reserved for Ben McLemorehttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/basketball/recruiting/player-Ben-McLemore-108908, who is now at Christian Life Center in Humble, TX, if McLemore wants it. The problem is, he doesn’t.

At this point, everything I hear points to McLemore committing to Kansas, perhaps as soon as spring break. And, if you want my honest opinion, I think he’ll be eligible. That’s not based on me knowing Ben’s grades or anything, just based on reading tea leaves and what I hear.

I want to be clear that I haven’t spoken with McLemore in quite some time (which is actually one of the things leading me to believe he’ll go to Kansas shortly). However, I’ve talked to a lot of different people in this one and the opinion of EVERY ONE OF THEM is that McLemore is more solidly a Kansas lean than at any other point.

I’m not telling you to completely quit paying attention to McLemore’s recruitment, but I am telling you there’s really no reason to raise your level of hope that he’ll come to Missouri.

*We’ve heard a number of names over the last couple of weeks as far as candidates to fill another scholarship. Henry Brooks, Connell Crossland and others. And at this point, it doesn’t look like any of those names we’ve heard will garner offers from Mizzou. I know that Mike Anderson has been all over the country watching players the last couple of weeks. He has incredibly high standards when he’s going to offer a player, and to this point, it doesn’t look like he’s found the guy he wants.

*One prospect I need to do more checking on, especially now that it looks like McLemore is headed elsewhere, is Oklahoma guard Josh Richardsonhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/basketball/recruiting/player-Josh-Richardson-104496. Missouri was in on him early and I do think there’s a chance they take another look this spring. I will chase Richardson down next week.

*But the bottom line is, I expect Missouri to bank at LEAST one scholarship. I don’t think it’s out of the question that they bank two and sign only Porter. In Anderson’s career, he has really only signed marginal players late one time. And it didn’t work for him. Stone and Underwood are no longer here. So I don’t expect Mizzou to sign players just because they have the scholarships. Doesn’t mean they can’t surprise us with a name over the next two months, but they’re not going to use the ships just because they’re there.

Now, there are two ways to look at that. Number one says, “Great, why bring in players that you don’t think can play and help you?” The other says, “You have the scholarships, why not take a chance on a kid and maybe he turns into something.” I don’t really have an opinion either way and I don’t think either one is necessarily right or wrong. Instead, here’s my take on banking one or two scholarships:

It doesn’t change ANYTHING for next year really. The Tigers are basically replacing Justin Safford with Otto Porter and Kadeem Green. Everyone else is back with an extra year of seasoning and experience. So just on the surface, the Tigers should be a better team next year than they are this year. This doesn’t impact the 2011-12 season really.

However, what it does is give you up to eight scholarships (six current juniors and the two extras). Obviously, you’ll have to take at least two junior college players to balance out the class. And you’ll have to hit on some BIG TIME talent. Because the returning roster for that season will look like this:

Mike Dixon, SR
Phil Pressey, JR
Ricky Kreklow, JR
Kadeem Green, SOPH
Otto Porter, SOPH

In other words, you’ve got to add at least three players who can come in and not only play right away, but play very well right away. Now, we all know Missouri is in on some big names like Jarnell Stokes, Archie Goodwin, Jordon Granger, etc, for that class. So the chance is there that they can add that kind of talent. The hoops class of 2012 is going to be a big one, no doubt about it.

That’s it for now. I’ll be in Manhattan tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News