Status
Not open for further replies.

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
We’ll start off the Chamber by making a request that seems simple, but has not been so simple for some: Please, if it’s here, keep it here. You guys spend money on this site. We’d like other people to understand that there is value in the same. Running to other places with information posted on this board for our subscribers really kind of defeats both of our purposes. Anyway, on to the news.

--We’ll start with more on Brian Coulter. I first heard the kid’s name about three weeks ago and things were on and off. Basically it was a touch and go situation on whether he was coming. Schools such as LSU, Ohio State and Nebraska were literally trying to recruit him away up through the 11th hour. But he did stay true to Mizzou and got up to Columbia for good some time in the last few days and is in class, ready to go. I understand he went through workouts with the team on Thursday afternoon.

How good is this kid? Well, he’s being built up, that’s for sure. But the thing is, he’s being built up by guys that don’t usually build people up all that much. That gives me hope he might be as good as people are saying.

Another thing that gives me hope is the tidbit I got from our Florida State publisher when I asked him about Coulter: “Not much I can tell you since he never enrolled at FSU. It was felt that he was somebody that could come in and contribute right away.”

I know, it’s not exactly a gushing review, but the fact is, if he can come in and contribute “right away” at Florida State, he doesn’t suck. Florida State may sign bad people, they may sign dumb people. They don’t sign bad players, especially on defense. In the last 20 years, I’d say there have been four schools that have separated themselves as a cut above when it comes to defense: Ohio State, Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech. Every single one was recruiting Coulter and at least three of them offered him (not sure about OSU, but I know they were talking to him).

I’ll certainly be talking to Mr. Coulter on the first day of practice.

--As you guys know, as far as the football recruiting goes, Freeman is handling the vast majority of it. My major focus has been keeping in touch with the in-state guys. In that vein, I feel as if I have a new Ronnie Wingo tidbit for you each and every week. This week, it’s been more than one. Here’s the up to date situation:

Illinois is again a player. Scheelhaase’s commitment there has a TON to do with it. If they land both Hawthorne and Appleton (certainly possible, if not likely) that’s going to help Illinois.

He has confirmed the visit to Missouri in a couple of weeks, the 31st of July. Good sign that he’s bringing dad and coming down for another visit? No doubt about it. At the same time, Ronnie has been adamant in telling people that he’s going to take his five visits. Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Illinois are locks. The fifth trip will be between Kansas and Alabama.

Could things change and see Wingo commit to Missouri next week? Sure. Same with Illinois. But if I’m a betting man, I’m betting Wingo makes his decision some time early in 2009.

The following are some notes that Freeman has picked up on the recruiting trail this week:

-Jaleel Clark will be visiting the Tigers next week. He’ll be flying down from Philly on Monday and visit all day on Tuesday with Missouri before flying home on Wednesday. He and his dad will be coming down together to check out the school. He and Coach Steckel have gotten pretty close and apparently he called the coach and talked for awhile with him after his grandfather passed this summer. Don’t be surprised if he commits while in town. I’ll have more with him after he completes his visit to Missouri.

-Jonathan Gazaille is a new name to store away at receiver right now. He’s a former teammate of Kip Edwards at Arlington Bowie. He’s actually a tight end in HS, but would play at receiver in college. Not sure that he will get an offer at this point, but he had some very interesting insight on Kip Edwards

“Kip and I are really good friends. He was my mentor on defense. He told me that I need to be more physical. He really taught me a lot about playing football. He’s been talking up Missouri all the time. He just tells me that he loves it up there.”
Sounds like Kip may already be ready to be a leader in the defensive backfield.

-No secret here, but Missouri’s biggest competition for Cobi Hamilton will be Arkansas. His parents are both alumni of the school and if they offer, I think he may jump on it quickly. If he doesn’t accept within a week to 10 days, I think that says something about his thoughts on Missouri.

-I know yesterday that there was a story on Neal Barlow. He said that the schools had all been similar on their visits. He did have this to add.

“This was the first time I’d really gotten to sit down and talk with other players. On the other visits, I’ve gotten to meet guys, but this was the first time we’d sat down and asked questions and gotten a chance to pick the current players brains.”

I think Missouri may actually have a slight edge here. He seemed very impressed by the meeting with the other players. He also said it was pretty impressive that Gabbert had only been there for a few weeks and was the most interested in running the meeting. (what…was Andrew Jones busy?)

I know he’s from Arkansas, but I don’t think the Hogs have the same pull as they do with other Arkansas high schoolers. The one school to keep an eye on will be UNC. However, to this point, they haven’t offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News