ADVERTISEMENT

****THE CHAMBER, JUNE 1ST, 2012****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
We're going to get right to the final month of Big 12 Chambers. Pete and Brian have all the news. We'll start on the football side.

Pete Scantlebury on football recruiting

This is our big pre-camp Chamber, so let's start with a run-down of the bigger targets we know (or think) will camp at one of Missouri's five camps (STL, Springfield and KC, with two team sessions in Columbia):

Sunday, June 3 at DeSmet in St. Louis: Derrick Mitchell, Vashon; TE Lucas Nikolaison, DeSmet; LB Calvin Munson, Francis Howell; DE Jarrett Franklin, Francis Howell; QB Todd Porter, O'Fallon (Ill.); DE Mason Burnett, Fort Zumwalt

Tuesday, June 5 at JFK Stadium in Springfield: DT Dakota Brake, Glendale; QB Justice Hansen, Edmond-Santa Fe (Okla. -- 2014 recruit)

Sunday, June 10 at William Jewell in Liberty: CB Cre Moore, Broken Arrow (Okla.); QB Coleman Key, Broken Arrow (Okla. -- 2014 recruit); RB Devon Thomas, Broken Arrow (Okla. -- 2014 recruit); LB Tony Lashley, Rockhurst; OL Joe Gibson, Rockhurst

More names are sure to surface. Keep in mind, the overwhelming majority of recruits in attendance won't get college attention, and only a very small minority will get major college attention. I'm continuing to track down more recruits, so later today we'll pin a thread at the top of the board with a running list of more additions to the camp cycle.

There will also be sightings of Missouri's 2013 commitments (and their lone 2014 commit) at each of these camps, but they will be doing very light workouts most of the time. In addition, some of the uncommitted in-state recruits, like Eric Beisel and Zach Hannon, said they may stop by as well.

Let me briefly talk about the guys who will work out that have the best chance of getting an offer. I'll throw out my best-guess percentage that these recruits actually earn an offer:

Derrick Mitchellhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Derrick-MitchellJr.-136419: Mitchell has really taken off lately and could have more than ten offers by the end of June. He is very much on Missouri's radar. The issue with Mitchell is that he ran a poor 40-yard time last year in St. Louis (over 4.7-seconds), so that's a big reason why the Tigers held off. Should Mitchell run well, in the 4.5 range, I think an offer will come quick. In my eyes, he has the best chance of earning an offer -- 80%

Dakota Brakehttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Dakota-Brake-133391: Brake is already a fan-favorite on the board, and in the game I saw him play last year, I was impressed. That came against Hillcrest, and he called it one of his worst games, but he still looked good. He's up around 280-pounds now. He'll really have to show he hasn't lost any speed with the added weight. I love Brake, like you guys, but multiple sources have told me Missouri's staff isn't as sold on him -- 40%

Mason Burnett: Burnett has been a work-out wonder this spring at various camps, and this will be the first time Missouri sees him perform in person. He's a big guy at 6-foot-4, 205-pounds, but he's kind of a tweener. Missouri may not have room at linebacker, so now he has to prove that he has the frame to add more weight and play at end, or perhaps show off some offensive skills as a tight end or receiver. It may be tough for Burnett to get an offer this weekend, but he's a late-bloomer and a big senior season could be the most important area in his recruitment -- 30%

Cre Moorehttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Cre-Moore-133739: Missouri is still looking for more defensive backs, and at six-feet, Moore has the size that Missouri seems to covet in this recruiting cycle. He only has one offer, but is getting lots of interest. Yost and Henson stopped by his school last week, to check out him and his two younger teammates. I don't know much about Moore, but anytime a well-known out-of-state guy comes in to camp, there's a good chance he gets an offer with a good performance, a la Xavier Smith and Aaron Colvin (now a standout at OU) in 2009 -- 40%

Devon Thomashttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Devon-Thomas-131970: Key is the younger brother of 2011 recruit Kason Key, and Coleman actually attended Missouri's KC camp in 2010. That's where he first got on the Tigers' radar. Him and Justice Hansen, who already has a Mizzou offer, are battling for top QB bragging rights in Oklahoma for 2014. Key has a good shot at getting an offer -- 80%

Thomas "might" attend, according to his teammate Moore. If Thomas attends, an offer will quickly follow. Thomas should be one of the nation's best running backs for 2014, and already has five major offers. Even if he doesn't make it, he's all but assured an offer. -- 100%

I don't have a big list of attendees for the Columbia team camps, but the two guys to keep an eye on are Jackson Morrisonhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Jackson-Morrison-129487. Newell has exploded, as expected, on a national level, and a source told me he wil get an offer when he camps in Columbia.

As for Morrison, another source told me he's passing over the closer Liberty camp to work out in pads. Missouri's staff wants to see how he moves in a truer football setting, and considering his age (he's a 2014 recruit), that's a good bet he'll get an offer. For Newell, the odds are 100%. For Morrison, I'll give it a slightly lower, but still great, 75%.

I'll continue to track down more camp attendees, and we'll have multiple staff members at all five sessions. Unfortunately, I won't be attending the first Columbia team camp or the Kansas camp, as I'm the best man in my friend's wedding at Notre Dame that weekend. But, don't worry, we'll have it covered front-to-back.

Now, let's get to some new names before I talk a little more two recruits with whom you all are familiar.

Nothing is set at this point, but Hampton (VA) defensive end Mark Wilsonhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Mark-Wilson-134359 is planning on making the trip to Kansas City for Missouri's camp on June 10. Wilson is a 6-foot-4, 217-pound two-star recruit. Don't let the ranking fool you, however. Wilson seems to be picking up a lot of steam, as recent offers from Purdue and Syracuse hint.

Wilson told me he began speaking with defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski in March, and while Coach Kul told him Missouri is interest, Wilson would have to camp with the Tigers to earn an offer. He's also planning on camping with Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, West Virginia and Arkansas, who are all showing interest.

According to Wilson, a big reason for the lack of attention is because of earlier grade problems.

"A lot of those schools were waiting on my grades from this semester," Wilson said. "But I'm fine now, so they all are picking up their interest."

I'll have a full article on Wilson up later this weekend, but I wanted to give you subscribers the new name first. He's visit is not guaranteed, but he said he should know for sure over the next few days.

Another new name on Missouri's radar is Immokalee (FL) all-purpose back Jacky Marcellushttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Jacky-Marcellus-133890. Marcellus is listed at 5-foot-8, 175-pounds, but he did it all for his high school team on offense. As a junior, he finished with 691 yards rushing and 747 yards receiving, in addition to 17 touchdowns.

He has yet to talk to Missouri, but he knows the Tigers are interested.

"My coach talked to their staff," Marcellus said. "They said they liked the way I move on the field."

Marcellus said Missouri is recruiting him as a running back or a slot receiver -- or probably some combination of both. Other teams are looking at him as a cornerback, however. He said he wouldn't eliminate a team that wants him on defense, but he prefers offense.

Missouri's staff was supposed to visit Immokalee this spring, but Marcellus wasn't sure if the trip materialized. Either way, he said should the Tigers offer, they would be in his top group.

"Oh yeah," Marcellus said. "I like their offense. They run a spread, and that's what I want to play in."

Marcellus currently holds seven offers. His most notable offers come from West Virignia, Vanderbilt and Cincinnati.

Another new name: Houston (TX) Bellaire offensive lineman Charles Sandershttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Charles-Sanders-141052. I'll have an article on the 6-foot-4, 275-pound lineman this weekend, but I wanted to talk a bit about his recruitment.

Currently, Rivals only lists him as having an offer from North Texas. Sanders, however, is claiming Missouri and Texas Tech have also offered. I talked to him, and he said the Tigers offered before his junior season. That sent up a flag for me, because IF Missouri offers a player that early, there's a good bet he'll be more of a national recruit. The Texas Tech site also wrote a recent article on him, and still didn't update his profile with a Texas Tech offer. So, in the article, I'll reference that he's claiming a Missouri offer, but until I get more confirmation, I won't update his profile.

However, there's little doubt that Missouri is recruiting him. Sanders said he speaks with Kuligowski on Facebook pretty often, so there's some interest. I doubt he's at the top of a shrinking lineman list, but he's on the radar. So, keep that name in mind.

Finally, one more new name for ya'll to chew on: I received confirmation from the father of Bellaire (TX) quarterback Austin Robinsonhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Austin-Robinson-123939 that Missouri is recruiting his son. I'm talking to him this Saturday, so that's all the info I have right now, but stay tuned.

Now, this is as good a time as any to talk about about what Missouri is doing at quarterback this recruiting cycle. Marietta (GA) QB Anthony Jennings visited Missouri on Thursday, but his phone is not receiving calls right now. I have a call into his high school coach to get more info, so stay tuned. He's been a bit hard to reach lately, but I hope to have more info as soon as I can.

There's no doubt that Missouri is taking two quarterbacks in this class, and Jennings appears to be their top target to take the last spot there. If you look at some of the guys they're recruiting, like Jennings, Damion Hobbs[/URL] and now the 6-foot-4, 210-pound Robinson, they appear to be athletic quarterbacks that COULD project elsewhere.

Missouri has been burned by quarterback dismissals, injuries and transfers since 2005, and that comes with the territory of developing clear-cut starters in that time frame. But, the Tigers' staff is trying to not get caught in a bind again, as they were in 2009 when Blaine Gabbert hurt his ankle and there were no other viable options to rest him.

To give further proof to my theory, I asked Trent Hosick about Missouri's plans at quarterback. Here's what Hosick said:

"They told me they were going to try and pick another QB up in my class for depth purposes. They told me the day the offered me," Hosick said.

So, he's aware of the situation and isn't scared off by it. The truth is, if you're a quarterback signing with a major program, you'll have to beat out guys already on the depth chart, and guys in your class, for the job. Hosick is okay with that, and any quarterback that signs with a BCS program should be aware of that fact, as well.

I'll finish with two names you all know about. The first is Arvada (CO) offensive tackle Dan Skipperhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Dan-Skipper-135177. Missouri is still looking at Skipper, even though there may or may not be room for another lineman. Skipper is in the middle of a nation-wide tour (he texted me when he was driving through Idaho), and he's said before he'll visit Missouri.

Now, those dates are set. Skipper will visit Missouri next Friday and Saturday -- June 8 and 9. I'll talk more to Skipper on Friday when he has good cell reception for a pre-visit run-down. I'll also try and get some answers about what Missouri is looking for to fill out it's offensive line class.

Finally, this brings us to newly annointed four-star defensive tackle Hardreck Walkerhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Hardreck-Walker-135466. Walker didn't know he was a four-star recruit until I spoke with him late Thursday, but it goes with his personality -- he's a real laid-back guy.

At this point, Walker said he has a top-five that rotates. Right now, he said the five schools that jump out to him are Michigan, Texas A&M, Nortwestern, Texas Tech and -- after a long, thoughtful pause, he said "I'll say Auburn."

Walker said Missouri is still on his radar, however.

"I'm definitely still considering Missouri," Walker said. "I actually just talked to Coach Kul and the head coach today."

Walker said Pinkel told him how much Missouri needs him to compete in the trenches in the SEC, and Walker said he liked that Missouri isn't mincing words about their desire to land him.

No visit is scheduled yet, but Walker is making a big tour this summer and he said he wants to visit Missouri at some point. More than likely, he said, he would visit Columbia unofficially, rather than using an official visit.

Brian Austin on Basketball Recruiting

Quick updates on a few guys. A couple of the names youa€™ve heard and one may be new for Tiger fans.

Spoke with Sindarius Thornwell yesterday evening for a story that will post this afternoon, but I wanted to give you a little tease of what he had to say. Thornwell has not received an offer from Mizzou yet, but he stays in contact with Coach Fuller who told him that Mizzou will be recruiting Thornwell hard this summer. Got some good quotes from the South Carolina native about what he's looking for in a school and what he knows about Mizzou.

Was in contact with Robert Hubbs, who visited Mizzou with their AAU coach recently. I'm going to be talking with Nichols more in depth soon.

Also spoke with 2014 target Peyton Allen briefly. The Peoria, IL target plans on making it to Mizzoua€™s campus this summer.

Talked with a couple of the incoming signees. Domonique Bull is going to get into town this afternoon and specifically mentioned he is ready to work. Ryan Rosburg said he is going to start the moving process today and then move in for good on Sunday. Tony Criswell tweeted earlier this week he was headed for CoMo and all of the freshmen ought to be in town by the beginning of next week. When I find out dates for others I'll post it on the board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News