ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY THE CHAMBER: MAY 24 2024

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.10.15 AM.png

We are proud to welcome Billiards on Broadway back for another year as our partner and the presenting sponsor of the juiciest dish on PowerMizzou. If you're looking for the inside scoop on Mizzou recruiting, The Chamber is the place. If you're looking for the best burger in Columbia, Billiards on Broadway is your go-to. A great place to watch a game, play some pool and pair a great local beer selection with one of Columbia's best meals. Local sports, Local beer, Local food--all under one roof at Billiards!​

FOOTBALL RECRUITING

- From what we are told, Mizzou is done in the portal. Here's a quick rundown of what they lost and added (rankings and previous or future school in parentheses:

OUT

QB Gabarri Johnson (348, Oregon State)
DL Kyran Montgomery (673, Ball State)
DL Serigne Tounkara (709, Cal)
LB Dameon Wilson (750, TBD)
OL Valen Erickson (770, NC State)
DL DJ Wesolak (845, Oregon State)
LB Carmycah Glass (868, Louisiana)
OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar (894, Arkansas State)
TE Ryan Hoerstkamp (1031, Middle Tennessee)
WR Peanut Houston (1113, TBD)
QB Jake Garcia (1116, East Carolina)
OL Ma'Kyi Lee (1123, North Texas)
WR Dannis Jackson (1326, TBD)
DB Tyler Hibbler (1873, TBD)
P Riley Williams (2344, TBD)
TE Max Whisner (2396, Akron)
WR Chance Luper (2419, TBD)
QB Dylan Laible (2430, TBD)

IN

OL Cayden Green (12, Oklahoma)
DB Toriano Pride (125, Clemson)
OL Marcus Bryant (135, SMU)
LB Corey Flagg (136, Miami)
DL Zion Young (252, Michigan State)
DL Eddie Kelly (275, Georgia Tech)
DL Darris Smith (277, Georgia)
LB Jeremiah Beasley (322, Michigan)
DL Chris McClellan (373, Florida)
RB Marcus Carroll (522, Georgia State)
RB Nate Noel (590, Appalachian State)
DL Sterling Webb (1255, New Mexico State)
QB Harold Blood (walk-on, 1889, Southern)
P Orion Phillips (2334, Murray State)
QB Drew Pyne (NR for some reason, Arizona State/Notre Dame)
LB Khalil Jacobs (NR at this time, South Alabama)

-That puts in writing how well Mizzou did in the portal. They gained eight players who had higher rankings in the portal than anyone they lost (and the top-ranked player they lost was unlikely to ever play here considering the recruiting at the position. If you want to just do average ranking, the average rank of the players Missouri lost was 1279.33 (somewhere between Ma'Kyi Lee and Dannis Jackson). The average rank of the players they gained was 606.9 (that's giving Blood's ranking to Pyne, which probably puts the average lower than it should be. In fact, the average done that way actually means there are only three ranked players who fall below that number (Webb, a punter and a backup quarterback). Missouri gained ten players from Power Five schools (including SMU) and lost only four (while seven outgoing players still haven't landed anywhere).

Now let's go by position.

QB: We'll call it a slight downgrade. If we say Pyne is about as good as Garcia, they still lost two and gained one. Basically they lost Gabarri Johnson. By no means a big deal, but overall they lost a little more than they gained.

RB: Gained Noel and Carroll, lost nothing. Huge upgrade (of course they did lose Cody Schrader)

WR: Downgrade by sheer numbers. Gained nobody, lost Jackson, Luper and Houston. Of course, none of them were going to play and Missouri didn't need anyone who does.

TE: Lost Whisner and Hoerstkamp, added nobody, so downgrade, but again, they didn't need anyone and the ones that left weren't going to play.

OL: Gained Green and Bryant, lost Lee, Erickson and Ndoma-Ogar. Possibly the biggest positional upgrade of all.

DL: Traded Montgomery, Tounkara and Wesolak for Young, Kelly, McClellan, Smith and Webb. We changed our mind. This is the biggest upgrade.

LB: Lost Wilson and Glass, added Beasley, Jacobs and Flagg. Again, huge upgrade.

DB: Lost Hibbler, added Pride. Significant improvement.

P: Lost Williams, gained Phillips. Wash.

Overall, Missouri's roster is significantly better than it was after the bowl game. The Tigers didn't lose a single player who was likely to be a contributor this year. They gained potentially as many as 13.

Other notes from the football side of things:

- Missouri missed out on three-star OL Antoni Ogumoro, who committed to Tennessee on Tuesday after taking an official visit with the Tigers this past weekend. So, Mizzou is 0-for-1 on official visitors this recruiting cycle, but instead of writing a thesis on the miss, let's just breakdown the OL scenario (cue A Tribe Called Quest)

Missouri already has a commitment from Rivals250 in-state product Jack Lange. They are also expected to host five-star Michael Fasusi and a couple of other Rivals250 products in Lamont Rogers and Andrew Babalola on May 31st. Three-star Ohio product Nolan Davenport is also scheduled for an official visit on June 21st.

All of the expected OL official visits this summer have previously visited Missouri during the spring, so the Tigers are already setting in a good spot.

- Also, there continues to be a lot of buzz surrounding Missouri quarterback commit Matt Zollers this spring, and for good reason. The four-star product has put in some impressive camp performances recently at the Under Armour Camp stop in New Jersey, where he took home MVP honors. Also, this past weekend, Zollers competed at the Elite 11 regionals in State College, Pennsylvania and received an invited to the finals in Los Angeles based on his performance at the event.

"It was a great experience and it ended in a great way," Zollers said after his Elite 11 experience. "I feel I did not throw up to my full potential and definitely could have done way better, but overall I did enough and it's amazing to get the invite to such a prestigious event."

Zollers is also poised to be positioned high in the updated Rivals250 rankings, which should come out soon.

- Earlier this week, Top100 WR Jayvan Boggs announced he's now down to four schools - Georgia, USC, UCF, and Missouri - and has a commitment date set for July 4th. So, one school's fanbase will be feeling extra patriotic that day. Boggs' official visit schedule currently looks like this - UCF on May 31st, USC on June 7th, Georgia on June 14th, and Missouri on June 21st. Out of his finalists, USC is the only school he hasn't visited previously. He was at Missouri back in April while he was still committed to Ohio State. The Tigers get the last visit before he makes his decision, maybe that's an advantage...we'll see.

- This past weekend, Missouri hosted three-star cornerback Mark Manfred for an unofficial visit. He was offered by the Tigers in early April and the 6-foot-3, 180-pound prospect currently has officials scheduled with Clemson (May 31st) and Cincinnati (June 7th). Ole Miss, Pitt, and Kentucky are other schools that are expressing interest, so we'll see how much Mizzou makes a push with the Georgia product after his recent trip.

- Missouri also had 2026 in-state running back DeZephen Walker on campus for a visit this past weekend as well. The Top100 talent noted that talking with RB coach Curtis Luper and HC Eli Drinkwitz and learning more about their personalities and the Missouri program is what stood out to him the most. Walker is obviously another top-ranked, in-state product that is high on Mizzou's board (and a lot of other programs) for 2026, so getting him back on campus is a big deal.

- Speaking of in-state 2026 talent, SLUH athlete Keenan Harris took home MVP honors at linebacker this past weekend at the Rivals Camp Series in Indianapolis. He really stood out in pass coverage against running backs and was able to pick off a couple of passes during one-on-one competition as well.

Here is what he told Eliot Clough of our Iowa site in Indy about his recruiting process.

"I wouldn't say I have any favorites," Harris said. "I've just got places that recruit me harder than others. Oklahoma, Oregon, Illinois and the hometown school Missouri have been recruiting me hard. Nebraska has probably been recruiting me the hardest. They get at me."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News