ADVERTISEMENT

*****THE CHAMBER: OCTOBER 8TH*****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
The Chamber is back after a bye week and we're loaded with info from both sports. We will start with the usual breakdown of Saturday's game before moving on to the recruiting front:

Here's the phase-by-phase look at Saturday's matchup:

When Missouri runs the ball: Colorado has the second-best run defense in the Big XII. Of course, the Buffs haven't played a team that ranks in the nation's top 30 running the ball. In fact, Hawaii and Colorado State are 117th and 120th, respectively. The Buffs allow 3.8 yards per carry, which is actually middle of the road in the league. Missouri doesn't have one player on pace to match even Derrick Washington's 800 yards from last season, but there are four Tiger backs averaging 5.9 yards per carry or better. The question, as always, seems to be just how much they will get the ball. Last year, Missouri ran 45 times on Colorado for 184 yards. Edge: Even

When Missouri throws the ball: Missouri's passing game hasn't been as good as recent vintages in the first four games. But Blaine Gabbert is still over 1,000 yards despite sitting out nearly a full game as the Tigers nursed huge leads. And T.J. Moe and Michael Egnew are both among the top five players nationally in receptions. The Buffs, for all the attention their secondary got in the pre-season, are 83rd in the country against the pass. To be fair, CU did face the nation's No. 1 passing attack in Hawaii, but none of their other opponents rank better than 40th. Edge: Mizzou

When Colorado runs the ball: Make no mistake, if Colorado is going to win, this is going to be the reason why. Rodney Stewart has increased his production every week, culminating in a 19-carry, 149-yard day against Georgia. Brian Lockridge is a solid second back and Tyler Hansen can hurt opposing defenses with his legs, running for three touchdowns in the first four games. Missouri's run defense has been up-and-down. Without Aldon Smith or Jimmy Burge, this is a question mark headed into the weekend. Edge: Colorado

When Colorado throws the ball: The ultimate reason Dan Hawkins has struggled in Boulder is his inability to find a quarterback who can effectively move the ball through the air. Scotty McKnight is a good receiver and leads the Buffs, but he has only 16 catches for 178 yards. Pre-season newcomer of the year Toney Clemons is averaging 2.5 catches and 39 yards a game so far. Hansen has averaged just 5.6 yards per attempt and CU is 91st in the country throwing the ball. The Tiger pass defense has looked to be much improved and they should have a chance to build on the strong start this Saturday. Edge: Mizzou

Special Teams: Grant Ressel and Matt Grabner have the Tiger kicking games looking good. Meanwhile, Aric Goodman has made just one of his three field goals (a 28-yarder) and Zach Grossnickle has the Buffs 91st in the country (and 11th in the Big 12) in net punting. The only place the Buffs have the edge is in kickoff returns and that is more because the Tigers are 117th in the country rather than CU being good. Edge: Mizzou

Coaching: Gary Pinkel has turned around a lot of trends in Columbia, but none have been more evident than this series. In four years, Pinkel's Tigers have outscored Hawkins' Buffs by an average of 33.5 points per game. Colorado hasn't beaten the Tigers since 2005. No doubt which sideline holds the edge going into this one. Edge: Mizzou

Intangibles: In four years, Hawkins has won two Big XII games outside of Boulder. The last time the Buffs came to town, Missouri hung a 58-0 whitewashing on them. The Tigers cannot afford to stub their toe heading into a brutal four-week stretch that will define their season. A loss here ends any hope at a North title and Missouri knows it. The night-time crowd and the series history lean heavily in Missouri's favor. Edge: Mizzou

Analysis and Prediction: Colorado looks like it is better than in recent years. But the Buffs have had a nightmare of a time slowing down Missouri's offense in recent years. The Colorado offense may be better, but the defense still struggles to stop opposing passing games. This ought to be the week Gabbert really gets things going. Expect Missouri to jump on the Buffs early and coast in the second half in a game very similar to last season. The Tigers win 34-17.

We're going to move now to Pete and the football recruiting news before I come back with the info from the hoops trail:

It appears that this weekend, Missouri will host its first round of official visitors. We know for sure that Cyril Lemonhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Cyril-Lemon-111804 will
be here, as Lemon confirmed that to us on Sunday. Lemon said he didn't expect to make a decision on the visit, or soon thereafter, but admitted because of available space, that could change. However, even if Lemon is ready to commit, I'm not sure Missouri would take the commitment immediately. The Tigers are still waiting on Del City (OK) OL Errin Joehttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Errin-Joe-103697.

Neither Naff nor Joe have set up official visits -- Joe told me his visits, or the majority of them, will probably come after the season. Right now, those two are at the top of Missouri's list, and both have expressed plenty of interest in the Tigers (Naff moreso than Joe). IF Lemon does commit, and it's accepted, I think Missouri takes Naff OR Joe, but not both. Right now, however, I wouldn't count on Lemon committing quickly.

We've also been able to track down some other official visitors, but the kids kind of want to keep things quiet (in other words, please keep the information contained to this board until we talk to both after their trips).

First off, Louisiana defensive tackle Gerrand Johnsonhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Gerrand-Johnson-109062 will be in town. Johnson is a kid we first profiled back in the spring. He committed to Louisiana-Monroe over offers from places like Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska and Tennessee, citing the fact that he wanted to build something rather than go into a situation that was already far more established. The fact he is taking a visit obviously signifies that he's not shut the door on Missouri. From his comments in our conversation, the door is indeed shut on everyone else. The visit this weekend will play a big factor in Johnson's ultimate decision. It will be either the Tigers or sticking with ULM. Again, the kid doesn't want it out all over the place that he's taking a visit, so please keep it here through the weekend.

The third official trip is likely coming from UTEP commitment and Copperas Cove, TX native Brandon Duranthttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Brandon-Durant-104699. We can't guarantee this visit is happening, but it is in the plans. Durant is completely off the radar and we simply don't know much about him at this point other than the Tigers are interested. We did talk to the coach at Copperas Cove, but they seem to want to keep Durant's name out of the headlines at this point and we will respect those wishes. For now, this is just a name to watch. If he does make the trip, we'll let you know about it over the weekend.

Now, a big story this week (or two weeks ago, I guess) was the visit of Columbus (IN) QB Gunner Kielhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Gunner-Kiel-102803
during the Miami (OH) game. I already felt pretty good about Missouri's chances after talking to Kiel in June, but there are few reasons why Missouri fans should feel even better about Kiel:

1. He came to Columbia to see ONE HALF of a football game. Kiel had to leave early to see his brother's game at Illinois State, but driving through the night to St. Louis, and then out to Columbia in the morning to see two quarters of a blow out should show how much the kid likes Missouri.

2. He flat out said he likes Missouri. "I really, really like Missouri," Kiel told me, when asked why he would make such an inconveniencing trip. His relationship with the coaches is already developing, and it sounds like he and Yost have really hit it off.

3. He said quarterback competition won't have an impact on his decision. Missouri could have four scholarship quarterbacks on its roster by his freshman year, and I asked him if that would affect his decision.

"No, it won't," Kiel said. "I want to go to a winning team, and they are going to have a lot of talent. I want to compete
with the best."

At this point, I think Indiana MIGHT be Missouri's biggest threat, as he has a brother there and is familiar with it. But, it looks like the Tigers are out in front, and considering he'll make a decision next summer, that's a HUGE early advantage.

Recruiting ramblings

-- Looks like my plan to see Dorial Green-Beckhamhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Dorial-Green-Beckham-98834 and Hillcrest in Rolla on Friday night might be in
jeopardy. Hillcrest coach John Beckham informed me that Dorial is still recovering from an ankle injury he sustained a week ago, and although it isn't serious, he might be held out until districts start next week. Plus, John Beckham is monitoring Dorial's over-exposure to the media, and said he wasn't sure if he'd allow Dorial to do interviews, even if he played, on Friday.

-- I keep seeing a lot of posts on Keante Minorhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Keante-Minor-99186 and if he'd switch from Arkansas to Missouri. I said it in the mailbag, and I'll say it again: It doesn't matter until Missouri offers. The Tigers have not done that yet. If they
did, I think Minor would switch quickly.

-- I think the new offers out to linebackers, including Nicholas
Grigsby
http://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Nicholas-Grigsby-107489, show that Missouri won't let Kentrell Brothershttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-Kentrell-Brothers-101580 take too long with his decision. Brothers said he'll visit for the OU game in two weeks. He was planning on coming this weekend, but he had plans. He still has time, but I don't think he'll be able to wait until January -- or even December, for that matter.

-- I'm back-tracking a bit, but I'm confident this class will be wrapped up by Christmas, like it was last year. With
Missouri's recruiting, I think that will be the deadline for most classes from here on out.

-- You guys miss Ted Letters? Just a hunch, but I think we see him again by the Monday following the OU game.

Okay, this is Gabe again and I've got some hoops scoop for you. Before we get to this weekend's visitors, a quick note on the class.

Missouri is only guaranteed to have one scholarship. While we've talked about Keith DeWitthttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/ba...Witt-112329;_ylt=Ar8106cmb59eC7liUz4wRjMLs5B4 and his desire to fill that spot, we're not positive on the situation. I think the Tigers would gladly take him if he is eligible, but his situation is so all-over-the-map that I'm not sure it's something you can count on. I believe the Tigers will go after two players in this class and let the chips fall where they may. If Tony Mitchell doesn't make it in December, there's no concern. If he does get here (and, again, it seems like people are getting more and more optimistic that he can), you deal with the numbers after that.

I think the main target for a spot is Otto Porterhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/basketball/recruiting/player-Otto-Porter-108410 and I think the Tigers are in good shape. One source even told me he is “almost a lock” for Mizzou. But I don't think Porter is going to decide anything (or maybe even take a visit anywhere) until after his senior season is over. In addition, I know Kansas was at his school in the last couple of weeks and Otto isn't so much under the radar anymore. He'll have options, but I really don't see him going any further from home than Columbia. If I had to bet, Porter will sign with Missouri, but he won't do it until the spring.

Nothing new on the Bradley Bealhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/basketball/recruiting/player-Bradley-Beal-88579 front. We'll be keeping our eyes and ears open to see what develops, but I continue to hear the Tigers aren't out of this thing.

Finally, let's talk about the visitors this weekend. As we told you earlier this week, 2012 Memphis prospects Andre Applewhitehttp://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/basketball/recruiting/player-Andre-Applewhite-117026 will be in town. They're going to get to see the players work out and then watch open gym and the game against Colorado (I think they'll play with the team, but not positive on that).

For those who missed it, here's what Stokes told me about the rumors that Memphis is a far-and-away leader for him:

"I wouldn't agree with that at all. If I had to commit right now, it wouldn't be Memphis."

So which school would get the nod?

"I'm not sure," Stokes replied. "Maybe Missouri or Tennessee."

Stokes is No. 9 in the country and a truly elite prospect. I got this scouting report on him from Eric Bossi, who has seen him play “20 or 25 times.”

“Stokes is a bull in the paint with the body of an NFL Defensive end. A 6-foot-7 power forward, he is very adept at using angles and fakes to score against bigger players. He rebounds well, has good touch to 15 feet and is a team player all the way.”

I also talked with Stokes' and Applewhite's coach, who happens to be Andre Applewhite (the younger Applewhite's dad). Here's his quick scouting report on both players.

Stokes: “He's 6-8, 240, cut like Atlas. He's a double double guy, he's getting double digit scoring, double digit rebounding, he's a power player, constantly getting better. Got a soft touch, nice footwork, does everything well. He's just got to continue to work, he's got good work ethic. He's just 16 and he can get it done.”

Applewhite: “6-5, about 208, strong, he's one of those kids he does everything well, defends the ball, handles the ball well, finishes at the rim, good mid-range, good understanding and good grasp of the game, athletic strong kid. He does everything well, that's a great compliment. Both of them are like that, but Jarnell is a heck of a scorer inside...what happens is a lot of coaches will come in to see Jarnell and then they'll ask, who's that other kid? When I tell them his name, coaches are like, 'Is he your son?'”

Stokes and Applewhite are really good friends, and have been for about ten years.

“When I moved back to Tennessee and Dre was like six years old, we were looking for a T-ball team,” the elder Applewhite said. “Tthat's where I met Jarnell and his parents. They've known each other since then. They played T-ball, little league football, AAU, they spend the night at each other's houses all the time...I've told them, there is a great chance you might be separated. That's fine. One place might be better for one kid, another for the other kid. Each one of you is good enough to make it on your own merits. At the end of the day, they will make their own decisions.”

The duo plays at Central High School in Memphis, which is also the alma mater of Tyler Stone. Don't spend a second worrying about that hindering the Tigers' chances in any way. I asked Applewhite for his thoughts on Mike Anderson and the Missouri staff:

“Thorough, quality people. I like the integrity and honesty they bring with what they're doing. They are honest, straightforward kind of people and I really appreciate that.”

There is virtually no chance Stokes is going to make a commitment this early, but the fact he's taking a trip on his own time and his own dime to Mizzou speaks volumes. He won't have time to take visits during the season, so he wanted to make sure to see Mizzou before his games start. Missouri is going to be in this one to the end, but don't look for a commitment out of the nation's No. 3 forward any time soon.[/URL]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News