ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL RECRUITING This weekend's visitors, some other notes

Eric Bossi

Hall of Famer
Nov 19, 2001
Wanted to stop by real quick, Brian brought to my attention a few questions in the recruiting chat from the other night about some of the MU recruits so I figured I'd mix in some things.

Starting with this weekend's visitors. For me, both Willie Jackson and Mitchell Smith are on commitment watch. Mizzou has worked them both pretty hard and I think is in pretty good shape. Jackson I think could be a true under the radar guy. He's had to play a lot of power forward in the summer so his wing skills have maybe been masked. He's super athletic, plays hard and is very aggressive on both ends of the floor. I don't know how much any of you watched Iowa State the past few years, but I could see him ending up like a Dustin Hogue type and guys like Hogue are pretty valuable on the college level.

Smith, for me, is a tough evaluation. When I first saw him in the spring I thought he was a guy that was going to totally blow up. He was starting to get some high level offers and looked the part. Tall, runs very well, good coordination, good hands and showed soft touch. However, he played the rest of the spring and summer and simply wasn't that productive for the Arkansas Wings. I don't know if it's a case of he just wasn't a good fit for the summer team he was on (playing with a superstar like Malik Monk isnt' always the easiest in summer ball) or if he simply wasn't ready for prime time. So, I think there is a lot to be intrigued by with him, I just don't have a true feel for his game and when he'll be ready. I do know Mizzou likes him a lot and thinks he has huge upside.

As for some of the other guys. WIth Bam Adebayo I think everybody knows that is going to be a tough deal. What any of you have seen on highlight mixes of him is what he is. He's a 6-foot-9 ass kicker who tries to maul anybody between he and the rim. As far as I know he has not set any official visits yet. Mizzou, NC State, Auburn and I think Kentucky are really all that has been through to see him that I know of. Very hard recruitment to get legit info on.

We actually have one of my freelance writers trying to get over to Montverde for a workout to see what's up with Bruno Fernando. He's really intriguing to me. Ready from day one physically tough guy who is an SEC athlete all the way. Probably pushing 6-foot-10, long arms and plays hard. Not overly skilled, but he's a brute who knows that he's a brute.

Tyler Cook, don't think I have anything to add on him that hasn't already been discussed. Any other questions, fire away. I'll try to get to them today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News