ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL USCe Coaching Staff

RyJones624

Letterman
Dec 5, 2019

I have some thoughts on this - the biggest argument for hiring Shane Beamer was that he was going to bring in top-tier coordinators and position coaches. He is rumored to have over half of his staff in place right now, and suffice to say it's extremely underwhelming. Taking this article as gospel, here's who is on staff:

Retaining OC/QB coach Mike Bobo - Not only was his offense disappointing, but now the players are said to have revolted against him and protested against playing in the bowl (along with covid issues). Not the most inspiring hire considering Beamer was thought to be bringing in a high-level OC. Probably keeping him for contractual reasons.

Retaining RB coach - A solid keep, in my opinion. Kevin Harris was second in the SEC in rushing yards.

Hired Will Friend OL coach - A poach hire from Tennessee. Even Tennessee guys are happy to see him go considering they had four separate 5-stars on the line and underperformed this year.

Hired Erik Kimrey TE coach - A high school coach. Similar to the Corey Patterson hire at Illinois. Again, if Shane Beamer was supposed to have "the inside track" with such high-level coaches, this is one of only two outside-hires he's made and it isn't super flashy.

Retained DL coach Tracy Rocker - South Carolina ranked 13th in the SEC in sacks and in TFL's. Nationally they ranked 108th in sacks, 121st in TFL's. Weird retain.

Retained OLB coach Mike Peterson - no idea anything about this guy so I won't even pretend.

You pay your last coach 15 million to go away, hire Beamer almost solely on the premise of him hiring great assistants, then retain half of your last coach's staff.

All of this is to say, thank goodness we have Drinkwitz. What are your guys' thoughts?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.