ADVERTISEMENT

Wanted to share a really cool story

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Some of you may remember 10 years ago we started doing a Halloween costume contest on Twitter. It was just a simple thing where followers could send pictures of their (or their kids') Halloween costumes and we'd pick three winners with free time on the site as prizes. Our first winner was Mason Gray, who dressed up as Gary Pinkel.

After he was selected as our winner, Mason's mom Jennifer and I began communicating. Mason was autistic and mostly non-verbal at 7 years old, but he was a huge Mizzou fan. We were able to get Mason and his parents tickets to a game and a chance to meet GP and some players thanks to the generosity of some people in the athletic department.

Over the years, I'd honestly kind of forgotten about it. I'm not sure if Jennifer is still a subscriber, but she included me on an email last weekend and has given me permission to share with the board (Jen, if you're still around, let us know). Mason graduated from Lee's Summit West last weekend. At 18 (and 6-4, 285) he walked with his high school classmates. His mom told me he's still very limited verbally, but if somebody says MIZ he always responds ZOU.

Meant to share this sooner, but got busy last week and had forgotten. Thought those of you who have been around for long enough to remember Mason would enjoy the update.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News