ADVERTISEMENT

WV game thoughts

chris.allen

All-Conference
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2005
Atlanta
As Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" WV has a precision passing game and a QB that can put the ball in tight places. It will take only a yard of separation with their receivers and they are open and this QB will hit that small window. This assumes the QB has time to step toward his receiver and make an accurate throw. If he has time with WV experienced OL it could be a long day for our secondary. I suspect they will hit their fair share of passes.

Our defense must put pressure on the passer for us to win this game. We must hit him in the mouth early and often for us to win. I promise you WV has a plan to stop Charles Harris on the edge so Ricky Hatley, AJ Logan, Terry Beckner, and big Josh Agusta must be successful with pressure up the middle and hopefully Jordan Harold can add to the pressure on the edge. If the QB can't step into his throws the accuracy won't be there. I think our offense will be improved and produce against an inexperienced WV defense. I am very concerned about our defense using a new scheme. We can't be tentative as just a second of hesitation can cost us. Very hard for a new defense to play without thinking too much. I hope DeMontie has them past that phase and they just react and play ball. Gary Pinkel's zone defense was all about not giving up the big play and keeping things underneath. I am in favor of a more aggressive play in the secondary which I think we will see under DeMontie but we may long for the keep them underneath defense of the past. I hope not!

Reactions: Burst3737
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.