ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM FAUROT FIELD

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
First of all, DAMN that was fun. These are the kinds of days that remind me why I do this. Hell of a game with an ending you couldn't imagine in front of a sellout crowd. And you guys are happy on top of it so that's cool.

*In my job, you root for people. And you tend to root for the people that most people aren't rooting for. I'm not here to shame anybody about anything they've said or thought about Brady Cook. But I'm absolutely here to tell you I'm happy as hell for that kid tonight. Whatever else happens, for the rest of his life, he's got this day. Think about it. He grew up like you guys did. He loved this place. All he ever wanted to do was play football here. And after the last 14 months, it's fair to wonder how many nights he sat in his apartment and wondered if he really wanted to go through all this to play football here. Because being a D1 athlete draws a lot of attention. And being a quarterback draws more attention than the rest. When it's not going well, I'm not going to pretend I know how hard that is to take.

There have been times you could tell it was getting to Brady. He hasn't particularly liked the media or the press conferences for most of the last two years. I'm sure getting on social media is an absolute nightmare for him. But he just kept working and just kept showing up and just kept beating out everyone his coach brought in to replace him.

And today--and at least for the next six days--it's worth it.

He lived his dream today. How many of us get to do that, really? How many of us grow up thinking we want to do something and then we actually get to go out there and do it and have it go as well as it possibly could even for one single day? I'd venture to say most of us don't. Brady did. God damn, that's cool.

*Kudos to Eli Drinkwitz standing up for his guy. I know there's this thought out there that Cook is the QB cause Drink likes him more than the other guys. That's not it. If it was, he wouldn't have spent the last 16 months trying to find someone better. But Cook forced his hand and now he's riding with him. And as Drinkwitz said maybe this gets everyone finally supporting him. I didn't hear the boos because I wasn't in the press box during starting lineups. I believe Drinkwitz that they happened. And I agree with him it sucks. Boo during the game if you want. But pregame introductions? That's shitty. Good for Drink standing up for him.

*I honestly didn't know if Harrison Mevis made the kick. I couldn't tell. Only knew because the officials signaled it good. Speaking of things a kid's going to remember forever. My God what a kick. I don't know if it's the best ending to a game I've ever seen here, but it's up there.

*Luther Burden is a flat out star. Enjoy him until the end of next season. He's a first round draft pick after that.

*Today's not the day to nitpick. Yeah, there were some dumb penalties and a quarter of no offense and some third down defensive worries. So what? Fix it later. Missouri just won a game over a top 15 team for the first time in five years. Always better to fix problems after a win.

*And for those who were doubtful last week? Don't feel bad. You can only judge them on the evidence they've presented you. Up until today, the evidence wasn't very good. It was 100% fair for you to have your doubts. They erased some today. GIve them their credit. That's how this works. When they deserve blame, they get it. But you have to show up and give them credit when they earn it. And they earned it today. In spades.

My postgame column
Video interviews
Yuengling postgame show
Instant reaction

@JHamilton23 has more coming tonight. Grades, snap counts and ten thoughts in the morning. Enjoy it guys.

PS: Missouri just posted the best non-conference win by anybody in the SEC this year and I fully expect them to be 5-0 when LSU comes to town on October 7

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News