ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur impressions of Watson and Blackwell

MelWest

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2005
Parts Unknown
Just returned home from watching Whitfield's girls and boys play. awhubb and some others at the game can certainly chime in and confirm, disagree, or add to my impressions after watching just this one game.

I actually have seen both play multiple times, but the first time this year.

Blackwell.....get her on a bus to Nashville tonight. She can be in the Tigers starting lineup now. Typical of an extremely talented high school kid...she doesn't always play really hard. Takes some breaks....why? Because she can. That will change when she is challenged every day.

6'.....can move....can handle...shoots the 3...can drive and finish.........and yet what I might like most about her is she can pass and looks to pass. Really appears to be unselfish....would fit in really well with the present Tigers because she seems to really enjoy playing and doesn't have to score to enjoy playing.

Opponent tonight made a game out of it until about midway in the 3rd....when Blackwell wanted to, she would just go score the ball. When they would get a lead...she would pass. When it to close in the 3rd...she took over and the game was over.

Watson....had 46...I looked up and he had 28 late in the 3rd...and it did not seem like he had played very well on offense. He did not hit an outside shot I don't think. I know he did not hit a 3...took maybe 4 or 5. His team was also down at the half...second half they posted him up and he took over the game. I really don't know if he is a good shooter....he did not show it tonight....but I will say that everything he shot from outside looked good. Picture perfect form...comes out of hand just like you would want it to. I am guessing...it was just one of those nights. And to his credit...he did not force anything. Played will within himself...played off his teammates.

He appeared to me to be a kid that only looked to score because that is what he had to do to win the game. As Cuonzo Martin likes to say....no hero ball.

Exceptional athlete....the opponent obviously had no answer for him on offense.

He was just ok on defense.....but the same as I said about Blackwell....he will be a good defensive player at Missouri....because 1...his coach will demand it....2...he is really athletic and is capable...3...appears to be coachable and a great team player.

I have seen lots of really good high school players who did not play hard but were just better than everyone else...and some of them did not play hard because it was obvious they were prima donna's....but both Watson and Blackwell...just based on what I saw tonight would be great to coach and play with and easy kids to root for.

An indication that Watson is a good shooter...shot a bunch of free throws...not sure the exact number but 10 or more. Did not miss one that I remember...and did not hit the rim either.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News