ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM MIZZOU ARENA

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
First of all, Liberty's better than the name suggests. Even in a game where they shot just 28% from three, the Flames found a way to hang around. They weren't gonna pull off the upset without making a few more shots, but that's a good mid-major team that's going to be in the tournament. It's probably the second best team Mizzou has played so far. Don't be too stressed that Mizzou struggled with them.

*There's something to be said for getting a win when you don't play your A game. Missouri did that. That's what good teams do. You aren't going to play great every night. This is a game past Missouri teams lose. That they managed to win it and continue the momentum is no small thing.

*Jeremiah Tilmon struggled early. Liberty was throwing a double team at him immediately when he touched the ball and the offense wasn't working well in the first half. But the energy he brought in the three minute stretch where Mizzou took control won the game. He's such a barometer for this team. When he's good, they can be really good. When he's not, they look very ordinary.

*Mark Smith is this team's best player. He's the leading scorer, the only guy I have much confidence in to make a jump shot, finally a willing driver. But as important as all of that, he talks more about and puts more energy into defense than offense.

*This team looks like what Cuonzo Martin hoped it would be. They've got poise and toughness. They're tested. But they're talented too. Don't undersell that. Four games in, I'm ready to say this team is better than I thought it was going to be. The NCAA Tournament is my expectation.

Hopefully I covered most of the takeaways in the post-game report and we've also got interviews with Cuonzo and Mark Smith on the front page. Good win. Saturday's gonna be fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News