ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM MIZZOU ARENA

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Not gonna go too long here. Not sure if any of you are still up and if you are, not sure many of you are going to read it anyway.

You almost have to try to shoot as poorly as Mizzou did on Friday. It's not the 6-28 from three, although that wasn't great. Mizzou was 5-18 ON LAYUPS. Look, I could never get open to have a layup in a Division One basketball game. And all of the contested ones would be blocked. But I'd like to think if I had an ounce of basketball ability in me, I could make 5-18 from inside two feet. Sometimes there's a lid on the basket. There was tonight. There were some bad shots. But there were also plenty of good ones that just didn't fall.

The only encouraging thing I have is that Missouri did lead this game 29-15. They showed they have that in them. Yes, they were outscored 55-26 after that and that's the story of this game, but the first 13 minutes do count. The job is to turn those 13 into something like 33. Do that and you can be good. Play the last 27 like Missouri did on Friday and they'll lose to every competent team on the schedule. Put me down as thinking that's unlikely.

Noah Carter, Nick Honor and Sean East went 10/15 from the floor in the first half. Everyone else went 3/15. That trio went 2/11 in the second half. Everyone else went 3/15 again. So outside of Missouri's three returning veterans, everyone else went 6/30. And East didn't have a shot that counted in the second half.

I thought Anthony Robinson was encouraging tonight. He made five free throws and played with some fire on a night almost nobody else did.

Four first half minutes from Kaleb Brown and Mabor Majak were not the reason Missouri lost this game. But they also don't really need to be seen again. I'm as stumped as you all are on that.

They'll beat SIUE on Monday. I don't care about that game. The next chance we have to learn something about this team is next Thursday at Minnesota. The Gophers probably aren't very good. They're picked last in the Big Ten. If Missouri is as good as it's been saying it is, they bounce back and win that game and they'll be 6-1 going to Pitt on November 28th.

Here's our coverage so far if you're interested

Gates stays calm
Yuengling live show
Instant reaction
Post-game video

@drewking0222 has a full notebook coming tonight and a follow up story for the morning. We'll have a football preview first thing tomorrow morning and coverage of the game. Hope the second half of the big weekend goes better for you all than the first.

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.15.34 PM.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News