ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY *****FIRST FIVE: FLORIDA POST-GAME THOUGHTS*****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
1. BUT THEY SURE DO GO FAST. I’m not real sure what else the Missouri offense does, or what the point of going really fast is when you don’t have a first down for 27 minutes, but boy they really snap the ball fast after they get tackled. They say the right things. Drew Lock is always telling us how they need to get that first first down to go fast. But they go fast before that. And, no, I don’t know why. And, no, we aren’t likely to get the offensive coordinator after the game to ask him.

2. ON THE PLUS SIDE, THE DEFENSE WAS BETTER. It wasn’t phenomenal, but they did get some pressure, they did cover well and they did make some plays. Not that it mattered, but they tried to give Missouri a shot. The Achilles heel is still third down defense. Florida ended up 8-16 on the game.

3. IT’S NOT ALL ON THE QB, BUT…At some point Marvin Zanders has to wonder what in the world he has to do to be allowed to throw a pass. He started Missouri’s second series. They ran it with him on both plays. And then he was subbed out so Lock could throw on third down. Don’t get it. Then he got a series backed up against his own goal line losing 33-7 that doesn't really count.

4. THE PECKING ORDER IS OBVIOUS AT RUNNING BACK. Damarea Crockett is the best on the team and it’s not close. Ish Witter is the other guy who’s going to get carries. Alex Ross has fallen out of favor and Nate Strong didn’t even travel (don’t know if it was health or suspension or that he’s just behind Ryan Williams).

5. ONE WEEK CAN BE FORGIVEN. TWO? Look, nights like what happened in Baton Rouge just happen. They happen to a lot of teams. But two in a row? Coming off a bye? It’s perfectly fair to question if the players are buying what the coaches are selling. We asked that question a lot about the defense and they improved. But Missouri flat out was never in this game. And I’m sorry, but coming out and making a mini-run for a few minutes after halftime doesn’t count.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News