ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Halftime Thoughts: Florida 20, Mizzou 7

mitchell4d

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry for the delay, was breaking down the brawl on the live web show with Gabe. Obviously, that becomes the story of the first half. That was a total cheap shot from Trajan Jeffcoat. And then an ugly scene. We've already heard three players have been ejected (just Tre Williams from Mizzou), and I think more deserve to be. Markell Utsey and Chad Bailey threw punches for sure. I think you will see suspensions result from that. Florida and Dan Mullen obviously are not without blame for the brawl, but that was a bad end to a bad last five minutes or so of the half for Mizzou.

Aside from the fight, Mizzou's offense looks pretty much lost. The blame is pretty widespread. The receivers are back to dropping the ball and the offensive line misses Larry Borom and Xavier Delgado. Connor Bazelak hasn't been awful, but he's made a couple plays that have looked like a freshman, including the fumbled handoff. Harrison Mevis missed a chip shot. Obviously, the offense is going to need to improve in the second half. I think it's fair to want to see Tauskie Dove or Boo Smith instead of Hazelton in the second half.

The defense really hasn't been awful. Florida is going to move the ball, and one of the touchdowns is a result of the turnover. After Kyle Pitts started off well, Mizzou clearly adjusted and has done a good job of taking him out of the game. But the tackling needs to get better.

I'll be curious if we see Markell Utsey or Trajan Jeffcoat on the field in the second half. If I was the coach, they wouldn't play. Also, this first drive of the half for Florida becomes huge for momentum. If the Gators score a touchdown here, it feels pretty close to over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News