ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL My analysis on some of the defensive transfers

NikeFootball59

Letterman
Gold Member
Aug 22, 2015
I've been grinding some all-22 of our defensive transfer additions, wanted to give my thoughts on each prospect. I tried to get at least 2-3 games for each prospect, so I feel like I've learned a lot about them. I'm going to be brutally honest and not nice about some of them. I can't lie to you all, the defense is what is going to be the difference between us going 8-4 or 10-2. The offense will be good, sure. I'm a little cautious about our offense because our passing game just disappeared some weeks for quarters at a time. Unless you're an air raid team and that's just what you do, you can't be wholly reliant on Brady, Luther, Theo. We won a lot of games last year running the football, playing great defense, and having a reliable kicking game. With so many front-7 guys gone, it's important that our defense returns to form as much as possible. If we try to get in a shootout every week, we will fall short of this team's potential.

KHALIL JACOBS
  • BEST ROLE: SUB-PACKAGE LINEBACKER
  • Rotational LB at South Alabama, so will probably be a rotational guy for us as well
  • Not good at all with block destruction, but a physical tackler and possesses good instincts
  • Will need to scheme around him if he's in the game on 1st/2nd down (load the front, do not let OL climb up to him)
  • Great in coverage, makes clutch open-field tackles to force punts
ZION YOUNG
  • BEST ROLE: DEVELOPMENTAL EDGE OLB
  • Very much a project; he was thrust into action way too early at MSU
    • He's got a great frame, looks good coming off the bus
  • I was disappointed in his film. Plays with "dinosaur arms" and doesn't have the natural strength to get away with it
  • Needs to use a long-arm series for pass rush. Exposes his frame too much to OTs and the good ones bully him
  • Good first step, good at DL stunts
  • Stalemates a lot of blockers; fails to finish block destruction and gets stuck on a lot of blocks
DARRIS SMITH
  • BEST ROLE: DEVELOPMENTAL EDGE OLB
  • This dude sticks out like a sore thumb on film, it's almost hilarious. Legit looks like a giraffe
  • He's the classic definition of a "toolsy" prospect. Just hasn't grown into his own body yet
  • Does not know exactly how to use his body and gets wrestled around
  • Could easily see him popping late into his Mizzou career and getting drafted if we develop him and let him take his lumps
STERLING WEBB
  • BEST ROLE: UPFIELD 3-TECHNIQUE DEFENSIVE TACKLE
  • Seems like the most forgotten of the transfers, but I think he could make an immediate impact
  • High motor, seems like he's always moving his feet somewhere
  • Gets vertical and pierces through blocking schemes
  • Best served in limited action, not a starting-caliber player
  • A little clumsy and gets pancaked whenever he's not wrecking somebody
CHRIS McCLELLAN
  • BEST ROLE: 4i-TECHNIQUE DEFENSIVE END
  • I was so impressed with his film! He just pops out and makes you think "wow, who's that guy?!"
  • Massive butt and hips - will never get blocked 1v1
  • Doesn't look comfortable playing inside, prone to get moved easily vs. double teams
    • Mizzou might have to play him at Nose unfortunately. Do not know who else really fits that position, but if he plays 4i (inside shade of the tackle) our defense is immediately better
  • Packs a powerful punch. If you just ask him to bull-rush somebody he will literally kill them with ease
  • He will be a DUDE, I'm calling it right now

COREY FLAGG JR.
  • BEST ROLE: VERSATILE STARTING-CALIBER LB
  • Grossly underutilized at Miami, played well every time he stepped on the field
  • Reminds me of Nick Bolton in a lot of ways. Not the best athlete, but gets by on great instincts & high effort. Will rack up a lot of tackles
  • Fluid in coverage. Miami stubbornly took him off the field on passing downs (and got torched repeatedly)
  • Heavy hands, good in block destruction. Will shock & shed interior OL running right at him, rare stuff for a LB
  • Don't be surprised if he takes a ton of snaps away from Hicks/Newson, this guy's an old-school football player that we're all gonna love

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News