ADVERTISEMENT

Observation from the LSU v FSU game last night

MUValjean

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2011
Pensacola
Nothing mind bending here. But it really hit me listening to that game how much the transfer portal has impacted college football. We all know what Prime did at CU, and we will see how that plays out over the year. But then you look at LSU and FSU and how many of their top players and play makers from last night were transfer athletes. Those transfers really seemed to make the difference in that game.

That leads to the (overly simplistic) thought about players and transferring.. when someone good transfers in, that means either a lesser player transfers out, or a HS kid does not get the spot. Those lesser players will most likely transfer to lesser programs to fill the void left by those transferring up. Are we now in an era where instead of team promotion and relegation, that we are promoting and relegating players? And what should the expectation be for a program like Mizzou (High Major but in the bottom half of their conference) with regard to their players? Should we expect the Lovetts and Wingos to transfer out and we make do with what we have? Can NIL sufficiently offset the lure of moving to the upper tier teams? And will teams be virtually locked into their tiers by virtue of the transfer rules? It's going to be interesting to watch... and I think it will take time to develop. Though last night's game gave us quite a window into what the future is most likely going to me.

One more thing... when transfers became an option some coaches like Dabbo rejected it completely. Then you have Prime who embraced it like a lover. It will be interesting to see how the programs on the extremes fare moving forward. Just as it will be interesting to see how a program like Mizzou, caught in the middle, might be able to buy its way to success with both recruits and transfers.

Reactions: Amfortas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News