ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Path to the tournament

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
My assumption here is 10-8 will make Mizzou a tournament team (although that could be endangered with a first round flameout in the league tournament. That would mean Mizzou needs to go 7-5 the rest of the way. Here's my take on the easiest path to that mark

Auburn (H): W
Miss St (A): L
Bama (A): L
Kentucky (H): W
Ole Miss (A): L
Miss St (H): W
A&m (H): W
LSU (A): L
Ole Miss (H): W
Kentucky (A): L
Vandy (A): W
Arky (H): W

I mean, I know we all panic after every loss, but this is really not difficult. You have to win ONE road game the rest of the way (in order of ease, I'd go Vandy, LSU, MSU, Ole Miss, Bama, Kentucky).

The good news is Missouri really only plays two potential tournament teams on the road the rest of the way (not impossible Ole Miss or MSU could get there, but I wouldn't expect it).

The bad news is that Missouri plays 3-4 potential/likely tournament teams at home (UK, A&M, Auburn, Arkansas). So you're needing four top 50 home wins for the path of least resistance. For every home game you don't get, you have to make up for it with a road win.

The games Missouri CANNOT lose are Mississippi State and Ole Miss at home. Wins at Bama and/or UK would be huge bonus games and allow you to stumble somewhere else.

So is it easy? No. Is it attainable? Almost certainly.

At 10-8, I think you need to just beat the bottom four team that you'd play on Day 1 in STL.

At 11-7, St. Louis is irrelevant other than for seed.

At 9-9, I think you have to win two in STL to feel comfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News