ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY QUICK THOUGHTS ON THE BORDER WAR AT THE HALF

drewking0222

All-American
Staff
Jun 20, 2022
-Two of my main points coming into this game was 1) If MIzzou was going to win, it had to start on the defensive end, and 2) you had to bottle up Hunter Dickinson. And the Tigers did exactly that through the first 10 minutes. By the under-12 timeout, Kansas had shot 2-12 from the field, with Dickinson taking just one. All of Mizzou's bigs did an excellent job of fronting him and denying easy entry passes. And they more or less walled up in the paint when the Jayhawks drove in, forcing them to kick it out or take an ill-advised layup. They needed that kind of effort for a full 40 minutes to win this one.

-Sean East II is just on a completely different level than he was a year ago. Doesn't seem bothered by this crowd at all, has hit major shots when needed and nearly had a gorgeous alley-oop to Aidan Shaw. It's kind of funny - East and Dajuan Harris are both picking apart the other team's freshmen. Mizzou really needs somebody else to step up and help, they've got two points off the bench.

-Gotta stop giving the push shot to KJ Adams. I get sagging off of him because he's got no type of jumper and he's ridiculously quick and strong. But he's been automatic from the elbows today. You have to try to make him do something else. The Jayhawks' comeback came when they started running the offense through him a bit more. He's a guy that provides a ton of energy for them.

-Man, they really could've used Caleb Grill in a game like this. Just that extra perimeter defender that gives the team an edge and gets after loose balls. I think he would've made a difference, especially because the moment seems to be getting to Ant Robinson at the moment. I don't think that would've been the case with Grill. It feels like Mizzou's got six playable guys in this one.

-The end of the half stretch was brutal. Felt like Mizzou started way overthinking and rushing everything, even when all they needed was a simple play. When have you ever seen them airball this many shots? Or commit that many turnovers in such short span of time? Or fouled 3-point shooters? They needed their best game of the season to win today and so far, they haven't been close.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 171517.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News