ADVERTISEMENT

***THE CHAMBER: MAY 29, 2015***

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
The Chamber is back this week, and with it is a slightly-tweaked format. PowerMizzou.com has allowed The Chamber to become self-aware, so to speak, and from now on, this insiders-only article will be posted under this handle.

Before we jump in to recaps, rumors and reports, it's important to remember that The Chamber is for subscribers of PowerMizzou.com only. It's you guys who make this segment worthwhile, so keep all the information reported here -- well, here. We'll start giving more opinion, analysis and predictions in the Chamber, and it will only work if you all make it work.

So, let's jump right in...

-- With school about to be out for summer across the nation, June is once again shaping up to be a busy month around the Missouri Athletic Training Complex. In addition to team and recruiting camps (more on that in a second), Missouri's staff will bring in more and more out-of-state visitors.

Two of the first recruits up? Springfield (Ill.) athlete Albert Okwuegbunam and Manvel (Texas) offensive guard Mackenzie Nworah.

Okwuegbunam is first up, slated to come to Columbia on July 6, the day before Missouri's first one-day camp on July 7. He's a 6-foot-5, 215-pound athlete, and it appears that most schools see him as a tight end. Missouri is certainly after a fair share of tight ends in this class, and the safe bet is that's where the Tigers' staff sees him fitting in.

Nworah will visit on June 11, and soon thereafter, could be close to a decision. He recently visited Maryland, and tells us that he's hoping to visit some other schools like Kansas State and Oklahoma State on his way up to Columbia. He would not name a top list of schools, but if a decision is made this summer, Missouri should likely be considered a favorite.

-- Another visitor that was scheduled to come in town this week is Miller Forristall, from Cartersville, Ga. Unfortunately, Forristall had to cancel, but we caught up with the three-star tight end to see where Missouri stands.

"I'm very interested in Mizzou," Forristall said. "It's a great fit for me, offense-wise, not to mention the staff is fantastic and they win. I was very excited when I got the offer, it was one that I wanted."

The visit has not be officially rescheduled, but Forristall said it will happen this summer at some point.

-- We've talked to Hutchinson (Kan.) C.C. offensive lineman Tate Leavitt a great deal over the past few weeks. After his visit to Missouri, Leavitt said he would cut his list down in the coming week. He's had to delay that, however, saying that he wants to get back to Hutch and talk it over with his coach before he announces his finalists. Missouri should be in good shape to make that cut, however.

-- Wanted to kind of recap the situation with Foothill (Cali.) C.C. DT Howard Houston. There's no update at this point, but Missouri is still interested in Houston, and he is supposed to visit sometime in the next week or so. From what we've heard, Missouri is really diving into researching Houston -- they love him as a football player, but the thought around the staff is, "WHY is the guy still available?"

Again, there's some question about whether he has one year of eligibility remaining or two. We've been told that if everything checks out and he's eligible this year, Missouri will take him using the scholarship vacated by Marcus Loud. One reason they would take him even with just one year left (potentially) is to keep him out of the conference, as Texas A&M also seems willing to take him.

(We know that Missouri isn't scheduled to play TAMU, but it's still a factor with a potential conference championship game.

-- When working on the 2016 Target Board for the cornerback position one name that stood out was Kristian Fulton. A Rivals100 prospect with 20+ offers from all over the country, he didn’t have a Mizzou offer at that point despite his stated interest in Mizzou and the connection of his teammate Tyrell Jacobs being a 2015 Tiger signee. Yesterday that changed.

“Coach [Pat] Washington called me and told me that I was a guy they needed on their defense and that I had an offer,” said the 6-foot, 170 pound prospect.

Prior to the offer, Mizzou had only been sending Fulton mail to express their interest. Now that the offer is out Pat Washington told the number 10 ranked prospect in Louisiana to expect more attention.

“He said they are going to come after me harder,” Fulton explained. “Coach feels like they have a good chance with me because they have a lot to offer for me.”

Mizzou has to like their chances more then normal with an out-of-state four-star because of Jacobs, too.

“I haven’t talked with Tyrell since Mizzou offered, but any teammate that commits to a school they’re going to try and get you to come there,” said Fulton. "I’ll talk with him more about it and get his opinions on the schools and all that."

When trying to decide on a school, Fulton will be focusing on which school he feels most comfortable at. He would also like a school that he can make an impact at, has a great coaching staff and a school that is going to win.

“That’s the the thing about Missouri. They’re a school that wins a lot. They’ve been to the SEC Championship game two years straight. That’s something that I’m looking for…a school that will compete for championships,” he said.

Fulton is working on setting up summer visits right now and is considering taking one to Mizzou.

-- School camp season is nearly upon us. Mizzou is hosting padded team camps on June 4-6 and June 11-13. They are also hosting non-padded combine style camps on June 7 and June 9.

Here are the schools we know will be attending Mizzou team camp.

June 4-6

Rock Bridge (Tre Williams, Bryce Banks, Hayden Johnson)
Hazelwood West (James Jennette, Nicholas Rodriguez)
St. Joseph Central (Israel Smith)
MICDS (Keiondre Jordan)

June 11-13

Francis Howell (Justin Perkins, Ryan Perkins, Dirion Hutchins)

Here are individuals that will be attending a camp.

June 4-6

Dallas Craddieth, Hazelwood Central
Royce Newman, Nashville (Ill.)
DaRon Davis, Hogan Prep
Trevor Trout, Chaminade
William Bradley-King, Hogan Prep

June 5

Baron Odom, Wynnewood (Okla.) (Barry Odom's nephew)

June 6

Dylan Powell, Hannibal

June 7

Kaleb Eleby, Pattonville
Mason Hussman, Aurora
Daniel Isom, SLUH
Al Young, Cape Girardeau
Braydon Allen, Carl Junction
Jett Sexton, West Plains
Kylan Stribling, Independence (Tenn.)
Steven Frank, Oswego (Ill.)

June 9

Djimon Colbert, Winnetonka
Michael Hughes, Liberty North
Daterrion Richardson, Liberty North
Jaevon McQuitty, Battle
Cale Garrett, Kearney
Chester Graves, Park Hill (visit only)
Matt Harris, Park Hill
Davion Tyler, Park Hill
Parker Sampson, Park Hill

June 12

Marcell Minniefield, Lee’s Summit West

Other players we expect to attend but haven’t received a confirmed date from are Jerrion Nelson, Harry Ballard III, Roddrick Bryant and Boe Wilson. Two players who will not be attending are Lamar Anderson and Jerry McBride III. This is just the start of the list. We’ll be sticking it to the top of the board tomorrow and will update it whenever we confirm an attendee.

THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE...

-- It sounds like all the high school signees should be good to go. Chase Abbington and Tyler Howell both have one more class to pass.

-- Hearing Andy Hill really likes Bryce Banks and wasn’t high on Skylar Thompson.

-- James Jennette could be closer to an offer then initially thought.

-- Al Young, Roddrick Bryant and Harry Ballard III all have decent chances at offers, but not taking more then one more wide receiver is hurting them obviously.

-- Have heard that Cornell Ford likes Roderick Campbell, but the whole staff is not in agreement. Campbell is a Northwestern commitment.

-- Cornerback sounds like it will be the best position for A.J. Taylor.

-- Defensive back is the best position for recently offered Ty Pigrome, but he really wants to stay on the offensive side of the ball.

-- Sounds like Isaiah Pryor has been calling Ryan Walters as often as he can. The four-star Georgia prospect is really excited about todays Mizzou visit.

-- 2018 Cartersville (Ga.) quarterback Trevor Lawrence should get a Mizzou offer soon. Lawrence is teammates with Forristall.

-- 2016 Largo (Fla.) cornerback Taj Taylor could be close to a Mizzou offer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News