ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL What's Needed To Unlock Mizzou's Offense Next Year?

Arete_King

Letterman
Nov 30, 2021
I thought we were off to a promising start early. It went downhill after Bazelak took a nasty hit at the end of the Kentucky game. He was never the same player after that. Do you think a healthy version will yield a better outcome next year?

I know everyone is worried about RB with Badie leaving, but weren't we saying the same thing last year when Rountree left. However, I realize it's different next year as we could be looking to a former walk-on, Michael Cox, as our primary ballcarrier. I must admit to being impressed with him in his limited stints as he seemed like an angry, punishing runner. But it looks like pass protection and receiving ability might be liabilities. Thus, he might not be a fit for a Drinkwitz offense. It does concern me if we think an untested freshman, Tavoris Jones, will likely be counted on for a major role.

As for the WRs, it's tough to say whether it's a competent group. Were they able to get separation? Do they have reliable hands? When you have a physically compromised QB under center, it's hard to say how good this group can be. I must admit to being skeptical that Mookie Cooper is the answer. It's just tough being under 5'10 and being an impact player at the P5 level. Yes, there's Steve Smith, but he's an outlier. I realize we're heavily dependent on Luther Burden, but that might be alright.

Our TEs took a hit with Darren Parker, Jr. leaving. I thought he was a competent player, but he seemed to be overlooked by the current staff. However, Hoerstkamp might have the physical tools to replace the blocking skills. Then Hea can fill the role as an infrequent pass receiving target. I just don't think Drinkwitz values the TE that much, so this group could be enough.

The offensive line has some potential concerns, though Foster coming back is a definite plus. We'll see if Drinkwitz's recruits can develop this offseason and emerge next year. I don't see this unit as a strength, but I also don't see it as a major weakness either.

I know there's talk about Eli Drinkwitz freeing up his responsibilities by hiring an offensive coordinator. If he does do that, I don't know why he wouldn't consider an internal option, Bush Hamdan. I know his stint at Washington was unremarkable, but there was some outside interest in him with Kentucky. However, I really don't know what his ceiling is.

So what are everyone else's thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News