ADVERTISEMENT

Kinda thought it wouldn't happen to us.... till it did

Talk about a gut punch. Came to website just to hear bowl bid rumors and saw Lovett and Burden possibly leaving. Didn't realize how much I was going to hate the transfer portal. More reason that only the big brand teams are going to keep winning. Every year they miss on a 3* kid, who cares, they will get him in the portal, disgusting. Will Mizzou ever be able to build on a pretty decent end to a season (all things considered) when at least half of our players get snatched up?

FOOTBALL The Missouri Football Program is in a terrible spot going forward

The SEC has like 9 teams that are going to be offering huge money to our players and we can't meet it. I see us as about 15th in the conference going forward for NIL money

I wouldn't be surprised if GAs are now Scouts on Saturday. Nothing more effective than taking players from your conference foes.

I have never seen a sport set up as dumb as this is now.

Good luck getting a coach after Drink is fired.

I can't believe I'm going to say we would be better off in the B1G or Big12 again with the current structure.

No way will the lesser teams in the SEC have a chance when pretty much everybody can pay more for our players.

Worse thing about it is we finally get a coach who can't recruit good. Then they go and change the rules that makes high school recruiting meaningless

Logic of the 1 Free Transfer Rule

A more general conversation but why is this a rule?

If it’s for the benefit of the “student athlete,” then why stop at the first transfer, every transfer should have immediate eligibility.

If by not allowing immediate eligibility on the second transfer, the goal is to stop a kid or school from abusing the transfer portal then it wasn’t really about the “student athlete” in the first place.

If anything, the opposite would make more sense imo. You have to sit out the first time and can transfer at will there on after.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
DJ

State of The Football Program

1. I already thought people were delusional when they thought Drink would start anyone other than Brady next year. Add in he sort of looks like he can throw the ball and now Drink has a decent argument to his critics to send Brady out there. It is laughable how many people can’t figure out that to Drink Bad Experience is better than talent with no experience. He has shown that time and time again. Brady is the QB here next year unless there is an injury. Brady is a warrior. If he can figure out how to work through his progressions you can live with the lack of arm strength.

2. I believe that this stuff with Dom is about the money and feeling like he will never be perceived as the guy here because of Luther. If I am wrong and he says no it about the 25 times I was standing wide open in the endzone this year and the QB didn’t see me, ok I can understand that and I felt his frustration all year. But if ut is about the money/pub he is getting very bad advice. First he shouldn’t care about the pub. People can talk about Luther as if he is the number 1. The stat sheet doesn’t lie. Dom is the number 1 receiver on this team. If it is about the money he should be thinking long term and short term. There is probably a booster for LSU, aTm, Auburn, Arky, or TN or USC wear that will pay him a good chunk of change this next year. He may net an extra $50-$100k. Nothing to sneeze at but it is a drop in the bucket compared to future NFL money. Nothing about Dom’s measurables screams high draft pick. He will make us money by showing what he can do on the field. He 100% for sure has the opportunity to do that here. Will he anywhere else? Maybe maybe not. So he can cash a slightly larger check come Dec 5th but what about the check he is risking in a few years. Hopefully someone can step in and give him better advice than he has been getting.

3. That being said it is not the end of the world to lose Dom. I am probably his biggest fan on this board but we can slide Luther inside and IF we can get a true X receiver actually improve the corp. Every coach including Saban and Kirby are going to lose kids they want to hang on to. The key is being able ti replace them. Losing Wingi seemed absolutely devastating last year and we got significantly better on the Dline. So everyone can take a chill pill until we see which way this is going to break.

4. More importantly that losing guys to the portal are losing guys that could come back to graduation. If you are a top 2 round projected pick I get it go get paid. We need to hang on to the guys that are RD4-7. Doing that is crucial to not having another complete rebuild.

5. Next year is make it break for Drink. I think he has shown signs that he can be a good coach. Hopefully they come through. A lot will be riding on Brady’s ability to improve and keeping the defense together. We shall see. In my mind 8 regular seasons is the minimum to feel really good about football going forward.

6. I really hope we don’t get screwed for a second year in a row for a bowl. In my mind the SEC kind of owe’s us for screwing us multiple times in just a few years Va Kentucky. I just hope we don’t get sent to Birmingham mainly because I can’t make it but also I want a P5 contest. Also to any of the little bitches that are saying you are afraid to play ku grow a pair or go root for ku. Vegas, Liberty, Music City all would be great.

FOOTBALL Comparing Lovett’s receiving stats

I checked receiving stats for Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss, LSU, USC and Texas. Using his stats for this season, Lovett would have been the leading receiver for every one of those teams but Tennessee. Hyatt had 68 catches. The leading receiver at Bama was a running back (Gibbs), with 42. A couple of wideouts caught 37.

Lovett has already put together a highlight reel of catches, on both contested catches and bad throws, that will intrigue NFL scouts. Which is another way of saying: This is all about the money.

In other non-transfer news

Y'all thought Drink starting Cook all year was bad, look at Dabo going down with the ship.

DJ was 8-29 for 99 yards, maybe one of the worst stat lines I've ever seen

DJ is terrible and they have a freshman who was a 5 star QB

Blue Bloods will lose a lot of players too

All those 4 and 5 star kids that are 2nd and 3rd string will leave for NIL opportunities at other schools.

It's going to be straight chaos, if last year proved anything, it's that Mizzou and Drink can find a lot of good players in the portal. They turned around a shit defense in one year.

There's no reason to think that Mizzou can't find a QB and OL replacements in the portal this year, maybe even some from big programs.

Why would you sit the bench at Alabama if you can start at Mizzou and make at least some NIL money?

There will also be kids left out in the cold, this system is going to break itself at some point and the NCAA will either dissolve, or have to implement some controls.

Dominic Lovett

Look I am not happy Lovett is contemplating leaving but if you consider that in the Kentucky game he had no receptions and against NMSU he only had 1 catch you could almost see this coming. Earlier in the year he was the leading receiver in the conference. How does someone of his talent get ignored in two games like that? To me this can be viewed as an indictment of how he views the QB situation and maybe he feels for his talents to be utilized better he needs to move on.

Next player up.

competing

People are saying they are done with CFB or whatever. Not that I care how they spend their time, but the reality is that Mizzou never had a chance to compete for a title prior to the new age of CFB. The two really good cotton bowl teams that they had recently were probably closer to a once in a generation thing, and even those teams were not good enough to win it all. Not that we can ever go back and I know most ppl probably hate that this is even brought up, but I am firmly in the camp that the fan experience is more enjoyable with them in the big 12. In theory, They should be power rated within a TD of every team in in the big 12, and resources all pretty similar. It's fun football to watch. Mizzou decided to take the check and accept the Ls. It is what it is. I will still enjoy CFB

FOOTBALL Transfer Portal and NIL

What these two things does is crush average teams. Say your average team has a great year. Awesome. Next year that team will most likely lose their top players to the transfer for a bigger NIL opportunity that the average team can’t offer them. This will be a continuous cycle of beating down average teams when they have a good year and won’t ever let them build something great.

Can’t wait to see how these next couple of years shake out.

We are a feeder program for Blue Bloods in the new college landscape.

We do not have an NIL budget to compete. I know for a fact that Burden gave us a home School discount. For some kids that will be enough.

Fact of the matter is a lot of our best “prospects” will go on to the blue blood programs they didn’t get offers from out of high school.

However we will also be a destination for other “talent” not quite good enough to be blue blood recruits.

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule but this is the new world we are in.

The is the new reality like it or not.
  • Haha
Reactions: pwc

Going to get killed for this take

Gabe was right months back. Mizzou should zig while everyone is zagging in this conference. Mizzou needs to put what they have in NIL towards basketball. It’s way easier to build an instant winner there, you pay a kid one year and he’s gone to the pros instead of going to a blueblood (yes I know Brazile left to go to Arkansas) and it’s easier to compete with the money we have in this conference in basketball than football.

Mizzou bowl scenarios

For those that don't read the ten thoughts on college football:

The LSU loss is the one that impacts Missouri. If the Tigers lose to Georgia next weekend (which I'd say is likely), they're going to be 9-4 including a blowout at Texas A&M which hadn't beaten a real team in a month-and-a-half. I think that means the Tigers played themselves out of the New Year's Six bowls. So here's the situation:

Playoff: Georgia
NY6: Bama and Tennessee
Citrus: LSU
Pool of Six (one of these teams isn't in): South Carolina, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Florida

One of those seven is going to end up in Birmingham. It's almost certainly Mizzou, Arkansas or Florida. Those are the three 6-6 teams. Which one is left out? I have no idea.

The options are

Liberty: Probably vs Kansas, possibly Oklahoma
Las Vegas: Probably one of Oregon, Oregon State or UCLA
Birmingham Someone from the AAC and I don't really care who
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT