ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Why should we care anymore?

I’ll admit I thought Mizzou had a chance to compete but it’s looking like I was wrong.

It doesn’t matter how well Drink recruits (and let’s be real, that’s looking like it’s in question now). It doesn’t matter how many jump in on the NIL because other schools have more. Fans don’t matter. None of it really matters. Same 8 or so teams will ever have a shot to win a title.

Are you going to keep paying attention? I’m strongly considering giving up my season tickets going forward.

2023 Offense

Losing Lovett sucks, no way around it (assuming it will happen).

The offense has some hope for next year tho if we don’t lose any of these guys…

WR: Burden, Miller, Cooper, Luper, Manning
RB: Schrader, Jones, Young
OLine: White, Foster, Tollison, Polger, Membou, Ndoma-Ogar

QB: Cook, Horn, Johnson. I like what Cook has done the last few weeks but still think Horn is the guy

TE: Hoerstkamp and hopefully a transfer

Upgrades in the portal are expected, as well. This is my optimistic post since it’s hard not to be negative right now.

Relegation at an individual contributor level

As a program, the Mizzou tier schools will need to recruit the 4/5 stars that don’t perform well or are relegated to the bench at the top tier and grab guys that may be moving up from FCS/G5 but aren’t good enough to go right to the top tier. That will be the only way to survive. We need to expect 5-10 contributors leaving every year.

Doesn’t sound too appealing from a fan stand point.

We didn’t complain about Hopper

We didn’t complain about picking up Hopper from Florida and all the other defensive portal players. It’s simply the new Landscape. Mizzou might have to take a Moneyball strategy. For example, let’s assume we would have to spend 5-8 Million to keep Lovett and Burden. How many Hoppers and Charleston’s could we get with that money? It might actually be a good thing not to have to spend so much money on a couple of players. Hopefully we use that money to pick up some offensive lineman

This is not a Mizzou specific issue

I get the angst and being pissed off regarding whatever happens with Lovett and Burden. Same thoughts and feelings myself.

You just haven't been paying attention though. December 5th.... Numerous national college football insiders have been saying "be prepared for a giant shitshow"

A quick glance at other boards: Pittman alluding to 20-30 players entering the portal on hogville, questions about who and how many from last years A&M class on texags, a "prepare for a giant rock fight" discussion on the sec rant about Dec 5th.

Almost every school and every fan base across the country is worried about someone. Every kid knows who got paid and how much last year. It's a new world. It's not about loving the coaches, schools or teammates, it's about getting paid.

Does Mizzou have work to do on the NIL front, yup. So do all but about 15 schools. Where will Mizzou end up after this mess. Probably where they always do, a top 40ish to top 30ish overall roster that's dependent on Drink or the next coach being the next G.P. that develops a program not a year by year team that determines success.

In the interim, Mizzou will lose some battles and win some, just as always, until the one time transfer rule is addressed if it ever is and the entire NIL mess sorts itself out.

FOOTBALL Quick note on Lovett, fallout

It’s now officially a concern Luther Burden will leave. Lovett staying would have helped. Since it appears Lovett is not staying (not official but…) it is more likely Burden leaves.

I’m confident saying the process is being explored and Luther’s people are making calls. I do not know how it will turn out. We don’t love speculating about transfers but it is kind of necessary

ADDED: There are people who believe he will not leave. That is certainly possible and maybe even likely. We can’t just pretend there’s no chance he looks around though

FOOTBALL Let’s not talk players (NIL)

@GabeD

I would like these questions asked to higher ups whether that’s donors, head coaches, Athletic department, your rivals colleagues

1- Why offer money up for NIL collective when it’s not going to be enough to keep your good players when you’re giving a lot of them deal and $ for them to sit the bench their freshman year before they provide anything of substance for your program (Horn/Jones/Gracial)

2- Why offer money up for NIL collection when you get deals for players and they perform at or slightly above expectation and then they still enter the portal for the next best deal before they become upper classmen? (Wingo/Burden/Lovett)

3- What makes a school like us (this is what I hope we’d do anyways) not say “we’re ok being the Vandy if SEC Football because we can’t compete financially with Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, and probably even Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida so let’s put our money towards basketball and try to become a perennial top 10-15 team? If we put $4 million a year into NIL between basketball and football for 98 scholarship players and also walk ons that the NIL covering their tuition and things and just condense that down to 13 basketball players.. I feel like we’d get really good really fast.
Reactions: Link21

Volleyball

The volleyball team so far this season looks pretty rough. Last season was an embarrassment but they were extremely young. Losing to South Dakota, losing a set to Abilene Christian, and needing five sets to beat Northern Kentucky (not to mention being in a fifth set vs Ohio right now), is there much hope that volleyball will be back to being a top 25 team anytime soon?
Reactions: buddha7mu
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT