ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL NOTES FROM DRINKWITZ'S PRESS CONFERENCE

Kyle McAreavy

Editor
Staff
Sep 29, 2024
I'll have a Said and Unsaid a little while after we finish up here and hopefully videos from the players' portions.

But for now, here's some quick notes from Eli Drinkwitz speaking to the media:

Excited for Homecoming week

Really fortunate to be part of this game and all the traditions

Came out started fast on both sides of the ball Saturday

Responded throughout the game. Mentioned fake punt turning into Flagg interception.

Proud of the young guys and mentioned a lot of firsts

Difficult challenge this week "Auburn is a very dangerous football team"

Turnovers is the "one glaring weakness" for Auburn

Elite wideouts, elite running backs, talented tight ends

Asante the best linebacker Mizzou has faced this year

Joe Moore is out for the season

Khalil Jacobs is out for the season

Nick Jacobs did a good job with his opportunity

Should have Triston Newson back

Any time you lose, the no. 1 thing that's shaken is your confidence. The preperation and performance, one of the cleanest games, now need to carry over to a new challenge

Odd structure to Auburn's defense and multiple pressures

"I think we're going to see more of Mitch Walters"

Need to create competition on the offensive line

Mitch can play three positions, right guard, left guard and right tackle. "He provides a lot of position flexibility"

Tight end room "Has always been a weapon for us, just hasn't been healthy"

Josh Manning touchdown drive "We weren't going to run the ball again to work on consistency, didn't expect to score on the first play."

"We get criticized about rotating our receivers too much because Luther isn't always on the field, now people want us to do more (with Josh Manning). I can't make everyone happy."

Luther "does whatever we need him to do to win" there's been three out of six games where he's played about six total quarters. He hasn't played in six or seven quarters, which is going to leave a little do be desired in stats.

(Nate Noel) tough blow, part of the deal with travel. Tried really hard to go. Marcus did a really nice job. "I thought the running back room did a nice job"

Jarquez Hunter is "as good a running back as we've gone against" hard to bring down in the hole. Going to have to "challenge ourselves to tackle better"

When I was there, I thought coaching college football was easy (about coaching on Auburn's championship team)

Complimenting Cam Newton for his leadership during his time at Auburn

Auburn does a nice job of using Asante in their blitz package. Going to need to figure out pass pro structure

Jalen McCloud vs. Nate Noel, former roommates at App State. Both committed to Drink at App State

It's always important to get a win. It's an important game in our season, it's the "most important game I've coached in, because it's the next one"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.