ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY QUICK THOUGHTS ON MIZZOU'S 101-79 WIN OVER ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF

drewking0222

All-American
Staff
Jun 20, 2022
-Something to consider: Do you think Aidan Shaw got the second-half start because of how he was playing, or because Zeus had three fouls in the first half? Or both? I tend to think it's the former (although, Jesus didn't play in the second half - we'll try to find out more). You can't understate the kind of night Shaw had. It's the most minutes he's played in college. He made the most of all of them, bringing an edge on the boards and on defense. He's still a little one-dimension on offense, but you'll live with that if he con bring that kind of production on the other end.

-One thing I really like about Caleb Grill is, even if he doesn't have the ball in his hands, he's in perpetual motion. Gates used him in a cool "screen the screener" action early in the second half that led to Sean East finding him rolling to the basket.

-From @GabeD after Bates' third 3-pointer of the evening: "I think I'm gonna like that kid." (Me too.)

-One thing that stood out, especially when they had Jordan Butler and Trent Pierce on the floor together, is that this team is capable of rolling out lineups with significantly more size than last year. And I say that while they had another 6-foot-6 guy and another 7-foot-5 guy on the bench. When everyone's available, they'll be able to go big when they need to.

-I don't know that I saw anything from Kaleb Brown that convinced me he's going to be a regular part of the rotation. There were some really simple mistakes made on his part. I'm not going to completely rule him out just yet and I'm sure Gates is still going to give him more opportunities. But you'd definitely like to see more out of him.

-Mizzou didn't force all that many steals, the turnover margin wasn't as wide as you'd expect for a team like this and they let APB take over 30 free throws. They got the job done tonight but they've got some work to do to be ready for Memphis.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News