ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Talked to Gates about the atmosphere at Mizzou Madness

Not the time for a full interview about the team or anything, but wanted to get his thoughts on the atmosphere and the event:

"What it shows is that we won't be able to do it alone. And whenever you're in this part of a season, you have to not only work behind closed doors but have situations and events like this, that brings everyone together and then multiplied right? Not just at a Kansas game, not just at a Kentucky game, but that starts and begins at the very first jump ball. And when we do that consistently, now we're building the tradition together. We're not just building it on wins and losses, we're building it with an atmosphere that will give us an unbelievable advantage. And those are the important things that happens whenever you look at any traditional institution at the very, very top is consistent and this is something that I truly believe without Robin Pingeton, without our administration, we couldn't execute so I appreciate them, and it could not be executed without our student body, with our family and friends and all those that came down and came out this weekend for the football game, but more importantly, the vision. So it's one of those things man you you can't build without something like this and that's awesome."

Is this going to become a tradition?

"Hey, it starts one one at a time, of course, but we have to keep getting better. This was a great event. We had a lot, a lot of hands on deck getting it executed. And I appreciate the vision and the opportunity that the President. Board of Curators, Desiree Reed had on this. But yes, we want to make this 10 times better next year. Without a doubt, we got historic columns and I can't wait to see the pictures. I mean, I'm in a moment right now. But when we reflect on it, it really will tell us how unbelievable this experience was."

Anyone watching the Lee Summit North- RayPec game

Division I talent all over the field. I knew about Doss and Green, but announcer talking about a RayPec receiver other than Doss had an offer from Alabama, and then announcer said another player had an AL offer. Announcer said a DL for North has 19 sacks already. Mozee I think has an MU offer, and the kids name from RayPec that has AL offer is Riddell(?). I keep up with recruiting, I’d not heard of Riddell. 6’4 receiver.

Stoops @ UK

Year Record Recruiting Rankings

2013 2-10 (0-8) 29th

2014 5-7 (2-6) 17th

2015 5-7 (2-6) 34th

2016 7-6 (4-4) 28th

2017 7-6 (4-4) 26th

2018 10-3 (5-3) 30th

2019 8-5 (3-5) 30th

2020 5-6 (4-6) 21st

2021 10-3 (5-3) 34th

I posted this to give a lot of you some perspective on how hard it is to build a program in the SEC. I’m not going to act like the situations were the exact same. UK in 2012 was in much worse shape than Mizzou in 2019 so the rebuild here shouldn’t take as long but this was still a rebuild in the hardest conference in America. It took 5 years of higher recruiting at UK before Stoops could basically break the .500 mark. Mizzou hasn’t recruited well enough since we’ve joined the SEC to be more than a .500 team. That includes Pinkel and to this point Drink also.

When I look at this team I see a team that’s really not that far away from being pretty good. I honestly think this team is a couple lineman and a QB away from being an 8-10 win team.

The defense has more talent than it’s had in long time and with the guys they’ve been bringing in I think it’s only going to get better and better. We’re just seeing the tip of the iceberg right now. It won’t have the pass rushing ability the 2013/14 units did but over the next few years I think it’s going to really stand out as one of the best units we’ve had in modern times. Also Baker “might” be the best DCord we’ve had since…. maybe ever. Been really impressed with him.

On the offense. I know what it looks likes. It’s not good and I’m concerned about the future of the OL but with guys like Lovett, Burden, Horn, and the RB from TX the talents there at the skill positions to field a good offense. It needs some patience though. Especially Burden and Horn. Drink desperately needs the OL to come together over the next couple years though. Doesn’t have to be an all SEC line but it need to at least be adequate or getting over the hump will be really hard.

Is Drink the guy? IDK but I wouldn’t give up on him or this program yet. Wining in the SEC at places like Mizzou and UK takes time.

My Analysis - Sick way to lose with a lot of mistakes at the end!

Here’ is my quick analysis of the game. After the first quarter the defense played great. Great job Coach Baker. The offense played well in the second quarter, but really sputtered in the second half. Cook really struggled throwing the ball down field, especially on passes over ten yards. He missed some throws high the second half that would have extended drives. I personally would have tried to score in the last minute when we got down to the three yard line after the long pass, but I think either way was fine based on the history of our kicker. If he had tried to score and there was a fumble people would have roasted him over that. If we would have scored and they came back and matched it with a TD of their own in the last minute he would have been torched as well. He executed the last minute fine and gave Auburn no chance to come back, but unfortunately, Mevis choked! Then we had the game won, but Peat can’t get careless with the ball in that situation. Those are player mistakes and the coaches can only do so much. The penalties on the field goals can’t happen because most of the time the kicks are never blocked anyway. They have to be coached to watch the ball and not move. Very frustrating loss and we lost it by players making mental and physical mistakes at the end! We need to be better than this!
Reactions: Holland608

FOOTBALL Redshirt report

Everyone still has his redshirt as of right now. Once you play in a fifth game, the redshirt is gone. Here is the participation chart for Mizzou freshmen this year (others can also still be eligible for a redshirt if they haven't previously used one, but it's a little too much to try to figure out and usually you're not using a redshirt after your first year anyway):

Luther Burden III: 4
Mekhi Milller: 4

Armand Membou: 2

Tavorus Jones: 1
J'Marion Wayne: 1

No other freshmen have seen the field
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT