ADVERTISEMENT

Was going to wait for the mailbag... but... since it's not out yet..

@GabeD & @JHamilton23 , we have a lot of negativity on the board. A lot of people second guessing the play calling. A lot of people wanting to fire a lot of people on the team and staff. May be another angle would be interesting to explore.

I have seen a lot of guessing and commenting... but can you guys tell us what the actual game plan was for Saturday? Other than "score points"? I am not a football coach, or a 3 year letterman... and I am having a hard time discerning what it is Drink is trying to do with this team. Receivers and RB's do well and then disappear. We seem to have one plan, then change... I'd be interested to know what the actual idea behind what we are doing, or trying to do is. Maybe then we have a better idea what we are supposed to be seeing vs what is happening...

That Dub Feeling

Man, I'm ecstatic to be in the win column. Nothing you can say will make my glow go away before Wednesday... Luther got the ball. Dom not so much but he is on the mend. Hell Tauskie caught a pass. The defense is holding steady despite having their own team play against them at least a quarter a game.

You know what was said when we almost won against Auburn, Florida, and Georgia close don't cut it we need to win. Well, we finally finished the job, and I would have sworn we loss again. The fan base has to learn to be happy about something and I am taking this moment to be happy that we learned how not to lose a game. May mean nothing to a lot of you but after losing 3 close games that slipped from our grasp I am holding onto this positive.

Shout out to the D doing work and not letting dissention take hold due to the lack of offense. Got to find three wins out of the remaining 5.

USCe - On the road is a negative but can't lose all the road games can we. (Feels like FL again) winnable
Kentucky - Back at home in two weeks (advantage us to play them after the Tenn Game) winnable
Tenn - I will settle for a moral victory here and hope that the D keeps them under 2 or 3 scores.
NM ST - A dub
Arkansas - They will have Ole Miss before our game, and they may be primed to be had. winnable

I see a path to 6 wins, but we have to come out and strike USCe a top 25 program at their house next week to make it seem believable.

This week is a season defining game!!

NEW STORY TEN THOUGHTS ON THE WEEKEND IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

We've covered pretty much every angle of Mizzou/Vandy, so here are my thoughts on what else went down this weekend

1) At least Mizzou is only paying our million a year to not score and be 3-4.

Login to view embedded media
A&M lost to South Carolina last night. The Aggies have not scored more than 25 points in an FBS game in their last nine games. They have no quarterback. The fans want Jimbo Fisher to give up the playcalling. They have highly ranked recruiting classes that are not winning games. They are, as they almost always are, the most underachieving program in the country. They have the most money in the world. They think they are great. They have not won a national title since 1938.

This is glorious. I enjoy that everyone is coming around to the point of view I have held of A&M for 15 years.

2) The second most underachieving team in the country is one that lost to A&M. Miami got thumped 45-21 by Duke. The Canes won their first two games by a combined score of 100-20 and everyone wanted the U to be back so badly. Since then, they're 1-4 with a six-point win over an awful Virginia Tech team and losses to Duke and Middle Tennessee. Maybe he'll eventually get it going, but I've never quite understood what makes everyone so sure Mario Cristobal is a great coach. He's 65-64 in his career. He's had two seasons with more than nine wins, three with more than eight. He had almost the exact same winning percentage at Oregon as Mark Helfrich. I don't get it.

3) Elsewhere in the ACC, Syracuse continues to be one of the most pleasant surprises in the country, but yesterday was tough to take for the Orange. They led Clemson 21-7 in the second quarter before Cade Klubnik came off the bench to lead the Tigers to 20 consecutive points in a 27-21 win. It's Cuse's first loss of the season and it doesn't derail what is a really good story, but they had the ACC title game and a potential run at the playoff right in front of them and couldn't hold on.

4) Syracuse now joins a list of one-loss teams that need a good amount of help to get in the playoff picture and probably can't, but are at least in the running to finish the season in the top ten. That list includes Tulane, Oregon, UCLA, Oklahoma State and Wake Forest.

5) You can throw Ole Miss in that list too.
The Rebels could theoretically get back in the playoff discussion, but they'd have to beat Bama and Georgia to do it and that doesn't seem too likely. They got handled at LSU in a game that proves why Vegas has big buildings and shiny lights. On the surface, LSU being favored by a field goal threw a lot of people off. The Tigers rode 369 total yards and five touchdowns from Jayden Daniels to a 45-20 win that ended Ole Miss' undefeated run. LSU is 6-2 and 4-1 in the SEC and plays at Alabama next week. If the Tigers win that game, they're going to win the SEC West. I've never understood anyone who didn't think Brian Kelly would be successful at LSU. I understand why people don't like him, but he's a hell of a football coach. Everybody wins big in Baton Rouge, including a lot of guys that haven't been as good as Kelly.

6) TCU is the Big 12 favorite. The Horned Frogs have four straight wins over ranked teams to start conference play. They're 7-0, 4-0. They don't play another ranked team the rest of the season (at least one Texas is unranked this afternoon). They may be underdogs in Austin, but will be picked to go 11-1. I'm not saying the Frogs are going to run the table, but it's worth watching. Sonny Dykes is going to rival Josh Heupel for national coach of the year. TCU was 5-7 last year and 23-24 over the previous four years. Dykes has them in national title contention in year one. That's a hell of a coaching job. They're also really, really fun to watch.

7) Montana State beat Weber State 43-38 yesterday. The difference in the game was the eight points the Bobcats scored on safeties. Never before had a team recorded four safeties in a single game (three had been scored seven times). The record for safeties IN A SEASON is five. The poor Weber State longsnapper.

That's a hell of a way to lose a game.

8) The playoff if it started today (my poll):

1) Ohio State vs 4) Michigan
2) Georgia vs 3) Tennessee

This will not happen because Tennessee plays Georgia and Michigan plays Ohio State. Here are the teams that can still make the playoff other than these four. I think Clemson, Alabama and TCU could each get in simply by winning the rest of their games. I think the following teams could get in if they win out and get some help: UCLA, Oregon, USC, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest, Illinois. I believe that to be the entire list. That's 13 teams with a shot.

My prediction:

1) Ohio State vs 4) Tennessee
2) Georgia vs 3) Clemson

The scenario that makes the country lose its mind:

Georgia beats Tennessee, Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC title game. TCU loses once and Clemson loses once. You would have:

Ohio State 13-0
Georgia 12-1
Alabama 12-1
TCU 12-1
Clemson 12-1
Tennessee 11-1
Michigan 11-1

Easy to make an argument in that case that Ohio State, Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama should be the playoff teams.

9) If my Heisman vote was due tomorrow:

1) Hendon Hooker,
Tennessee
2) Bryce Young, Alabama
3) Blake Corum, Michigan

10) Five games I'll watch next week other than Mizzou vs South Carolina:

Ohio State at Penn State, 11 am, Fox
: I don't think the Nittany Lions can beat OSU, but things would get real interesting if they did
TCU at West Virginia, 11 am ESPN: Weird stuff happens in Morgantown
Kentucky at Tennessee, 6 pm ESPN: Vols should roll, but it's a decent game
Oklahoma State at Kansas State, TBD: Winner has the inside track to play TCU again in the Big 12 title game
Florida at Georgia, 2:30 pm CBS: I don't expect it to be a very good game. There aren't very many good games next week. Take your kids to the pumpkin patch and score some family points next weekend.

Why are Millennials' so Financially Stupid?

The survey also said that 40% of millennials with student loans don't know the interest rate on their debt.

How do you have a $50,000 student loan and have no idea what the interest rate is or how much you owe?

Do high schools not teach basic financial information anymore?

Pressure is mounting

It feels like the state of the team is a powder keg. The guys have stayed together which is a positive for Drink, but the fans aren’t happy coming off an embarrassing win where the offense was as dysfunctional as it gets….really in all position groups except wide out. Talent is under utilized because they simply can’t get them the football. So Drink goes bunker and almost loses the game.

The 2nd half is on tape which demonstrates blitzing Cook constantly is a safe strategy because the qb and OL can’t hold up.

Drink in his desperation is sending out mixed signals with qb replacement and backup duties which could unravel the team with another disastrous performance or injury. Drink has a week to recapture the competitive hope the team displayed vs GA and FL. What does he do to keep the team together and keep the dam from breaking on the road this week against a team that appears beatable?

FOOTBALL Drink is the worst Offensive Coach in Mizzou History

I can count two games the offense has played well since he has been here. The LSU and Arkansas games his first year

LSU had a Bo Peleni defense that was going to go down in history as one of the worst until he got fired

Arkansas we somehow managed to get 28 points in the 4th quarter to win

Other games have been won by Drink climbing into a bunker and handing off to Odom's NFL RB's.

This year we are seeing how bad Drink is at coaching offense when he doesn't have Odom's RB's to lean on.

If DRF does not have him hire a OC to save us he will be out of coaching after next year

Gabe will say you hired the wrong guy if he has to hire an OC. I will say we did hire the wrong guy an OC with a new offense is the only thing that can save us

The only thing that might compete with Drink in being terrible was the Woody years on offense

I'm actually surprised this guy didn't get his dick sucked...

Considering he did this among 21 other soccer players.

FOOTBALL Is Marcus Johnson part of the problem?

Last year our defense was atrocious, specifically the defensive line. Everyone was calling for Wilks to be fired mid-season but Drink fired Jethro Franklin and promoted Al Davis and line play improved. Wilks left, Baker was hired and the defense was transformed to a subjectively "elite" group.

That same transformation MUST happen for the OL this off-season, preferably sooner than that... Which leads me to the question, is Marcus Johnson the best coach for this position group? Further, is he good enough to be all of these Assistant Head Coach / Run Game Coordinator / Offensive Line? Seems like we should have one coach focused on the OL, hell we have 2 focused on DL! Perhaps Johnson is a good coach, but has too much on his plate?

If Drink is going to succeed not get fired next year, this OL has to be better and that likely includes coaching.

Just spit balling, but move Johnson to OL coach, promote Baker to Assistant Head Coach, and give Luper the Run Game Coordinator role given he's the Running Backs coach now.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT