ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL How much of this defense comes back - Talking point

So, on my drive back from Missouri I usually contemplate perpetual energy, world peace, and the Global economy, but this time I took a few minutes to contemplate this Defense this year and into the future.

Current Defense

DE Jeffcoat (RS SR) Coleman (GR/TR) Walker JR ( RS SO)
DT Robinson (SR) Williams (RS JR) Robledo (RS JR
DT Jernigan (SR/TR) Landry (RS SR) George JR ( SR/TR)
DE MC Guire (SR) Walker ( RS FR) Hopper ( GR /TR)
WLB Hopper ( RS JR) Nicholson (SR)
MLB Bailey ( RS SR ) Wilson ( RS FR) Norris ( RS SO)
CB Abrams -Draine (JR) Norwood ( RS FR)
S Carlies (JR) Hibbler ( RS FR) Wayne (FR)
S Charleston ( RS JR) Williams ( RS JR)
CB Rakestraw ( RS SO) Jackson ( SO )
STAR Manuel (SR) Carnell ( RS FR)

So, this is where I need help. DO the guys listed as Seniors have a co-vid year left automatically or is there something special that has to happen?
I am very worried at this point because of the D_line out to three deep only four are junior or below, if the SR are not eligible to return a year those positions will be sorely lacking EXP depth next year. When do we start to cultivate next years players sprinkling them in to get ready?
The WLB spot is another position of worry who is the air apparent if Hopper moves on to NFL greener pastures? Transfer portal? position change for someone? Carmycah Glass?
Norwood is the air apparent to KAD CB spot should he leave this year.

Selfish question: Does Manuel have a 5th year and does he exercise it?

Ultimately how much of this defense will remain and how much of the future get PT this year, Yes I realize 7 games are left but preparation for next year should already be in full swing in my opinion.

Saturday was why I love sports

It was a college football night like any other. Like many Mizzou fans over the years, I expected, hell, I planned on a beat down. My wife told me “you know they’re going to lose.” My two-year old twin daughters didn’t know. They were just excited their dad was excited. Then it happened. Play after miraculous play. Then I get hyped, and because of that, my daughters got hyped. And we made our first sports memory. Dad and daughters. Their dad going nuts. Hoisting them in the air. They probably didn’t know why they were excited, but they were, because their dad was. My trusty wife, kept telling me “you know they’re going to lose.” We put our girls down and it was just me and my wife, watching with bated breath. It didn’t end the way we wanted, but for three quarters, the miracle was possible. We flirted with destiny.

Man I live for those moments. It’s why I’ll continue to believe against hope my Tigers can do the impossible. I’ll listen to every interview and podcast and follow every recruitment.

I love this sport. And I love you miserable bastards.

Hopper is a star

I really wasn't expecting this kind of production from the young man. Saturday, he literally showed all facets of his game. He did a good job in coverage. The speed he showed when hawking the RB down for the strip fumble. The instincts to read and diagnose the play to get in the back field for sacks and tackles for loss. Maybe if we all started a collection now, we'd have enough money before he declares for the draft to make him come back. Dude is a beast

Responding to lawsuit, chief judge, sheriff say they’re not responsible for people who kill others while on electronic monitoring

who is accountable?

Mass killing at Indonesian soccer match — 129 dead, 181 severely injured

When are we finally going to ban this garbage, murderous sport worldwide? I’d feel safer in a room filled with Americans carrying guns than any stadium filled with hooligan soccer fans.

I think the biggest issue here is all the loser, incel fans who adopt soccer as their sport because they physically weren’t able to play other sports themselves. Basically any douche can kick a recess playground ball and the “athleticism” is akin to hackysack. So their entire existence gets wrapped into soccer and then if their team loses or a ref makes a bad call, they start killing one another because they’ve got nothing else to live for.

This is uniquely a soccer problem, so I won’t be entertaining any arguments to the contrary.

Thoughts & prayers.

Login to view embedded media

RIP Norm MacDonald

Certainly had his own style of comedy. Really enjoyed his work. Apparently fought cancer for 9 years quietly and out of the public eye.

Let's have a little fun... after all, it's Monday

I was listening to the Cover 3 podcast this morning and they were talking about coach openings. Lance has been named for Nebraska and Wisconsin... and other names are out there as well. The Coaching Carousel has started and it seems to be gaining momentum. For some fun, lets look at the coaching positions that are open....

Wisconsin
Nebraska
GATech
ASU
Colorado
More ?

Who else might come open? Auburn? Almost definitely. How about Jimbo bolting for another job before the aTm hit squad comes for him? Unless Lance is really as committed as he says he is, and same with Campbell, kU and ISU could be open as well. Who else?

And now for the fun...

For those who want Drink fired, do you think Mizzou is a better job than the above teams? What coaches that we would be willing to look this cycle, would pick Mizzou over the above? Next... would you really want anyone on that list?

But let's take this a step further... say Drink really does not like it at Mizzou. Say he does not like working for DRF. Say he is looking for an escape... does he get a sniff at one of these jobs? Does he ask his agent to sniff around?

Or, does he look at one of the jobs that come open to fill the existing openings? And then what do we do? Do we feel secure with what we have to keep Drink if he looks to bolt? @GabeD & @JHamilton23 ... I'd love to get your thoughts on all of this, or if it is much adieu about nothing?

Now for the more serious stuff:
What got me to thinking about this goes to fidelity to ones spouse. People are quick to find all the faults with their spouse, and they rarely see their own issues. They want to make a change. But when they look around at the options available, most find their ability to upgrade is not as good as they think. On top of that, in many cases, they feel comfortable pointing out all the warts and bad habits of their spouse because they are comfortable with them... but what happens if the spouse finds someone not so abusive? Someone who will appreciate them and may even be a better opportunity?

Yes, I have been doing a lot of marriage counseling lately... but, it fits. Do we really want Drink gone? Is Drink better than the options we would have available? And should we be concerned that others might have eyes for him? Or that he has eyes for others?

Just some interesting things to think about as the year goes on... and to consider as we ramp up into histrionics over our coach and demand change.

For the first time since Drink arrived in Columbia…

I’m confident in Mizzou football.

I’ve been very vocal in my discontent with Drinkwitz and the way he’s run the show so far. I still have questions, but last night’s game showed me that maybe he CAN build a team.

The focus of this past offseason was largely centered around bolstering one of the worst defenses in FBS football. Not only was a very good hire made when Drink brought Baker on board, the players that Drink and company brought in have completely transformed the defensive side of the football into a legitimately good defense. We could very possibly see a defense that finished upwards of 100 last year crack the top 25 at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

That’s not nothin’.

There’s a lot of skill in the form of TR FR who appear to be RS this year, but the defense looks like a side of the ball that may be pretty salty going forward.

Now, we need to see a similar transformation on offense. Drink already has his coveted QB, in Sam Horn. We’d all like to see him get some reps in meaningful games this year, and I’d imagine Horn will have a couple opportunities to do so.

Cook isn’t great, but he isn’t horrible. His QBR is ranked 61st, which tells the whole story. He’s a perfectly average QB who isn’t going to kill his team, but also isn’t going to light up the opponent. Missouri can compete this year with Cook. When that next step is ready to be made, I have confidence that Drink will have someone ready, whether it’s Horn or a Portal QB.

WR has been a home run so far and the RBs appear to be well above average. TE is coming together and the OL is taking small strides forward. Adding Norfleet and possibly Wisner to the TE group next year is going to be big. Both guys are very athletic safety valves for the QB. Drink has already brought in a beast in the trenches, in Reichert, to go along with the FR he brought in in last year’s class.

There’s much more work to be done to get Mizzou where we’d all like to see them be, but for the first time under Drink, an identity is beginning to materialize and everything seems to be starting to click.

Finish the year playing solid football, get some of the youth adapted to this level, and let’s see what happens in 2023. I no longer believe 2023 is going to be a season of walking the plank for Drinkwitz, and I’m actually beginning to believe next year will be the beginning of a new era for Mizzou football.

They Actually Caught a Ballot Stuffer

Former Rep. Michael "Ozzie" Myers pleaded guilty to frequently stuffing ballots, conspiring to illegally vote in a federal election and deprive civil rights, voting records falsification, and bribery in favor of Democratic candidates, according to a Department of Justice press release. He carried out the schemes in Pennsylvania during the 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 elections, the DOJ said.

I'm sure he is the only one.

BASKETBALL RECRUITING Jordan Butler Info

This is from the South Carolina mod and their version of the Chamber. Just posted..

-- Obviously the focus right now is on four-star forward Jordan Butler as he plans to make his announcement on Wednesday. I spoke with a couple of sources recently, both within the program and outside of it, who have indicated that Butler and the family is keeping the decision very close to the vest right now. He wants his commitment to be a surprise, and it is to be determined if he’s going to inform any of the coaching staffs prior to his announcement.

That being said, the sense I get is that the decision is coming down to South Carolina and Missouri. I do know that he had a nice visit to Auburn, but the sources I spoke with said they would be surprised if Butler didn’t end up in one of the Columbias. The primary draw for Butler to Missouri is the relationship with assistant coach Charlton Young, who was formerly at Florida State, but his relationship with the coaching staff in general, including head coach Dennis Gates.

But Butler also has a great relationship with the staff at South Carolina, too. The coaching staff at South Carolina has done a great job of showing Butler how he would be utilized. One of the keys for Butler and the family was to understand how he’d be used, given the uniqueness of his size and ability, and they feel good about that. The family likes the atmosphere that head coach Lamont Paris has created. Getting GG Jackson to Columbia also has played a very important role.

If I were to put in a Crystal Ball selection for Butler, it would be for South Carolina, but the confidence level would be lower than I expected it to be if you had asked the same question a month ago. Missouri has been the chief competition for the better part of four months, though, and not Florida State (or Auburn, the third team in his final three).
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT